Upgrading Laptop. Comparing two HDD. Want Professional Advice

greenking13

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
I'm considering updating my laptops hardware. Since there is an issue with either my SSD or HDD (I'm being told it's my SSD although personally all signs appear to point to the HDD.), I figured it might be a smart idea to fully utilize the additional ram slot I have, bump it up to 16gb instead of 8gb. (I found the same make and everything, no troubles there.) I have decided to get the Samsung 850 Evo 500gb (mSATA internal version. My laptop supports an internal mSATA SSD and a SATA HDD.) since from what I can gather, it's a very good SSD for gaming. Now, the issue arises from trying to find a good HDD for my laptop. I think I've narrowed it down to two different HDD. The WD10JPLX and the HGST 0J22423. I can't decide, and I was hoping somebody might help me weigh the two HDD and help me decide which would be better for storage for steam games and in general file storage.

Thank you,
Michael

(Note: Apologies if this is in the wrong category, I figured that "Storage" would make the most sense.)

RealBeast

Titan
Both are good drives, although I think the WD Black is marginally better. The WD model has a 5 year warranty, while the HGST only has a 3 year.

Be aware that both are 9.5mm height drives, so insure that height drive will fit in your laptop.