Upgrading laptop mobile graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steensels

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
Hello everyone

I'm currently looking into upgrading my laptop, i got a seperate topic for the cpu in the cpu section.

I own an ASUS X73SV-TY088V (Link to correct specs below). I did however upgrade to an SSD (it has 2 slots so i'm running the HDD for storage) and i upgraded to 12GB RAM. (Completely obliterating my dual channel capabilities)

Laptop:
http://pricecat.be/nl_be/p/asus/90n5hi334n1723vl151/X73SV-TY088V-11283744.html

I hope to find some answers wether or not it's possible and usefull to do this.
If you need more info on my laptop or anything else, i'll gladly provide.

Best regards
Glenn

Solution

Open the laptop, if the video card is sitting in an MXM slot it may be upgradable.

I don't see anything online about someone...

Open the laptop, if the video card is sitting in an MXM slot it may be upgradable.

I don't see anything online about someone reporting that they were able to upgrade it and with what.

Solution

Steensels

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015

Thanks for the response, i'm going to open it up tonight, in the meantime, i'm almost certain this is how it's gonna look (and i'm not yet sure how an mxm slot would look like.

https://www.google.be/search?q=asus+x73xv+inside&rlz=1C1CKMB_enBE654BE654&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIxYvp-YqGyQIVxUYUCh2Xhguw#tbm=isch&q=asus+x73s&imgdii=HRZzyom5si1USM%3A%3BHRZzyom5si1USM%3A%3BVDWu6ZpwBGdlyM%3A&imgrc=HRZzyom5si1USM%3A

MXM slot will look almost like the same type of slot that RAM or the wireless network card would go into, about the same width.

Steensels

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
Hello everyone, i contacted asus customer support and opened up my laptop. I came to the conclusion that my model doesn't allow for an upgrade, there is no MXM slot. The graphics card is soldered to the motherboard.

I did however find out there are asus models that do allow upgrades.

I quote customer support:
"In this case the GPU is soldered to the motherboard."

So other model will be upgradeable but best to check customer support of your laptop's manufacturer.

Thanks for the answers and the help.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.