Question Upgrading laptop RAM

Doron22

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
Hi, everyone I need help figuring something out.

I have an HP Notebook 15-bs190od laptop with 4GB RAM and I want to upgrade to 1 stick of 8GB. Specs:
CPU: i5-8250U, Motherboard: 832A, RAM: 4GB M471A5244BB0

In addition I just bought this laptop for my wife: ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506IH-AS53
This laptop comes with unknown (as far as I know) 8GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM installed.

So, I intent to upgrade its RAM to 16GB and instead of just getting another 8 gig stick (and have 2 different ram sticks installed) I Thought, maybe I could upgrade both laptops together!
I found this Crucial 16GB Kit from amazon, And from my research it should work just fine with the new laptop.

So the idea is, To put the new 16GB kit in the new laptop (and by that, I will get real dual channel instead of two diff 8GB sticks), And to take the 8GB stick out from the new laptop and install it to my old HP laptop.

And there’s the question, Will the unknown 8GB 3200MHz stick will work in the old laptop? Looking at the 8250u specs, The supported ram is maximum of 2400MHz. Will the mobo/cpu will be able to underclock the ram to 2400 and work?

Thanks everyone! Hope I explained everything.

Your laptop model only shows support for 2400mhz memory modules AND your CPU shows 2400mhz as the maximum native speed as well. The CPU limit wouldn't matter that much, as Intel always shows the native speed not the maximum OC speed supported through auto or XMP profiling, but the fact that the major memory manufacturers seem to agree that 2400mhz is the limit leads me to believe that you might not have success trying to use faster memory, but you might, and it might simply downclock it to the max supported speed. I've seen memory that is faster than what is supported not work at all in some notebooks though depending on how new the BIOS version is so be prepared for the fact that it might not work at all.

All you can do is try, and you lose nothing by doing so. If it doesn't work, you are no worse off than you were before, and worst case you still need to buy a stick and then maybe sell the other one.

I think there's a good chance it will work, especially if you have a fairly up to date BIOS version, but if you don't I'd probably try it FIRST, and then if there is a newer BIOS version available for your laptop try upgrading only if it doesn't work or if there are "quirks" to it's behavior after upgrading.

Reactions: Doron22

Doron22

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the answer!
I've checked the HP website for drivers updates and there is a new bios version from Jan 2020!
So i think i will order the crucial kit and hope for the best.

Worst case, i will sell the 8gb stick that comes with the asus and just order supported ram for the HP.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I reported it to the admins. Not sure why it's not showing on this thread but thanks anyhow for the the thought. Let me know how it turns out. I'm interested in seeing if that Kaby lake i5 laptop actually works with that faster RAM, and maybe even runs at a higher speed. You never know. It's unlikely but sometimes the limitations in the specs are because there was nothing faster at the time that was widely available.

Doron22

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
I'm happy to report that both RAM are working flawlessly!
The new 16 GB works on the new TUF, and the 8GB from the TUF is working on the HP