Question upgrading laptop

Jan 4, 2023
how to upgrade a laptop running 32 bit windows 10 on internal HDD to 64 bit windows 10 on internal SSD without data loss.
I am trying to upgrade my step Fathers laptop I have purchased 8gb of compatible ram and a 2tb compatible SSD, I have also purchased a usb 3.0 to sata data cable to help with the process.
I have used cloning software in the past and know how to do that part but upgrading the os from 32 bit to 64 bit without data loss is where I am getting lost.
Do I have to clone the drive then go through the process of upgrading the OS or is there a simpler way to complete the process in less steps
Thanks for any help
BigFatBaldy

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

how to upgrade a laptop running 32 bit windows 10 on internal HDD to 64 bit windows 10 on internal SSD without data loss.
You reinstall the OS, after you backup all mission critical data. You're also going to have to fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Make and model of the laptop you're working with? SKU will help us two fold. In it's current state, it'd be a good idea to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS udpate(s).

Jan 4, 2023
the laptop is a Packard Bell EasyNote TK87.
I do not have the laptop at hand to give anymore info but from memory it has a 680gb HDD and I have already run cpuz to check the details it is the core i3 2.53 ghz version which is x64 architecture
I have used Isumsoft clone software before and am confident enough to clone the drive and have read up on upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit os which includes backing up and basicly reinstalling windows to get the 64 bit version so it can utilize the additional Ram.
I can get hold of the laptop in a few days to give more info.
but as numerous people have helped him with different software installs he is unsure of all of the passwords for all his apps so I need to complete the upgrade without losing any logins he has and this is the reason I have created this thread

Going from 32 bit to 64 bit requires a full install of the 64 bit os and reinstallation of any app that has entries in the registry.
The data folders on the old C drive will be available when it is attached later.
When installing the 64 bit os on the new ssd, do not have the old c drive connected. You can attach it later.

USAFRet

Titan
32bit to 64bit is a full OS reinstall. Cannot be done inplace.
There is no magic around this. Clone or otherwise.

As far as saved passwords he does not know...you NEED to figure this out before you do anything else.
Go to whatever site, and go through the change password functionality.