Upgrading Latitude E6440 to a i7-4700MQ

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I have ordered a i7-4700MQ to put in my Latitude E6440. Can someone point me in the correct direction as to how to do this. also what thermal paste should I use.

Solution
Usually laptops are not meant to be upgraded in the CPU department. I looked around on Dell's site and the I-7 4700MQ is also not a processor that they offer on the Dell Latitude E6440. It is not advisable to continue forward. If you have already ordered and have nothing to lose though here is the owner's manual from Dell.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Dell+latitude+e6440+manual

First link, on the search. I would paste the link directly but it doesn't come out correctly.

On page 26 the manual depicts how to remove the CPU and then to put another one back in. Best of luck if you try it.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
Usually laptops are not meant to be upgraded in the CPU department. I looked around on Dell's site and the I-7 4700MQ is also not a processor that they offer on the Dell Latitude E6440. It is not advisable to continue forward. If you have already ordered and have nothing to lose though here is the owner's manual from Dell.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Dell+latitude+e6440+manual

First link, on the search. I would paste the link directly but it doesn't come out correctly.

On page 26 the manual depicts how to remove the CPU and then to put another one back in. Best of luck if you try it.

Solution
like musen said dell does not offer the 4700mq in that laptop, its hard telling if it will work or not, dell is kinda sticklers with their bios's so there wont be a bios update to fix anything you cant even change ram speeds or timings. The 4700mq also carries a higher TDP so the cooling in the laptop might not be able to handle it.

If you dont need the extra cores i would stick with the 4610m, is has a higher base/boost frequency and the on chip graphics is faster as well.

As soon as you open your laptop to change the cpu you will void the warranty as well so keep that in mind.

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Pants! i ordered it because i noticed people selling the laptop wit this CPU on ebay so thought it was one dell sold it with.

Been doing some reading around and think the will be OK but I should be able to use core Temp to throttle it if it starts overheating. From what I have read this should only be a problem if I use it in a warm environment. There certainly seem to be lots of people using the CPU in the E4660.

Where is there a list of the officially compatible CPUs.