[SOLVED] upgrading mac os x 10.7.5

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
my macbook is running mac osx 10.7.5 and I think it's finally time to upgrade, things aren't working properly any more. when I upgrade the os x would it erase any thing. also would it make my macbook sluggish in anyway?

Solution
my macbook can only upgrade to high sierra. I'm only going to be backing up the files that I absolutely 100% need, i'm willing to sacrafice everything else. is there anything else i should know?
It'll run considerably slower if you only have 4GB RAM or haven't upgraded to an SSD. Also some old software may have compatibility issues. So you may want to list what software you use and their version numbers. The same goes with peripherals.

Jonnymaddy

Reputable
Jun 19, 2017
my macbook is running mac osx 10.7.5 and I think it's finally time to upgrade, things aren't working properly any more. when I upgrade the os x would it erase any thing. also would it make my macbook sluggish in anyway?
As long as the model mac you have can update to the latest OS then you will be fine and should loose no data, however we come back to this. Firstly.

1. Find out you mac model, every kind (release) has its own unique number. Mine starts with the letter A.
  2. Check on the apple website if your mac is able to update to the latest OS. If not supported it simply wont install so you are limitted to when apple cut of the model from further OS updates. This is generally around age of 6 years. You can however download and updated to the latest OS your mac can run.
  3. For God sake dont do anything inregards to updating until you have used Timemachine that is in build back up and restore for your mac. Without it I wouldnt have everything I have done on my mac for the last 11 years. Simply grab a protable/external SSD or HHD hard drive and run the app timemachine. This will back everything up and make restore points. Everyone, every mac should do this. Its a walk in the park and fail safe.
  4. Ensure you are setup with your apple ID and logged in, go to the app store and update the OS. By doing this the OS is updated, all you personal files are not deleted. Please note the back up is vital as you may decide that you woul d like to role back to the previose OS due to software compatiabilty as this can be problematic.

Please remeber For God Sake! BACK UP FIRST.

Good luck and let me know how you go :)

firelighter487

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
Check on the apple website if your mac is able to update to the latest OS. If not supported it simply wont install so you are limitted to when apple cut of the model from further OS updates. This is generally around age of 6 years. You can however download and updated to the latest OS your mac can run
the Mac's that can use the latest OS are from 2012 or newer. so 8 years already :)

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
As long as the model mac you have can update to the latest OS then you will be fine and should loose no data, however we come back to this. Firstly.

1. Find out you mac model, every kind (release) has its own unique number. Mine starts with the letter A.
  2. Check on the apple website if your mac is able to update to the latest OS. If not supported it simply wont install so you are limitted to when apple cut of the model from further OS updates. This is generally around age of 6 years. You can however download and updated to the latest OS your mac can run.
  3. For God sake dont do anything inregards to updating until you have used Timemachine that is in build back up and restore for your mac. Without it I wouldnt have everything I have done on my mac for the last 11 years. Simply grab a protable/external SSD or HHD hard drive and run the app timemachine. This will back everything up and make restore points. Everyone, every mac should do this. Its a walk in the park and fail safe.
  4. Ensure you are setup with your apple ID and logged in, go to the app store and update the OS. By doing this the OS is updated, all you personal files are not deleted. Please note the back up is vital as you may decide that you woul d like to role back to the previose OS due to software compatiabilty as this can be problematic.
Please remeber For God Sake! BACK UP FIRST.

Good luck and let me know how you go :)

my macbook can only upgrade to high sierra. I'm only going to be backing up the files that I absolutely 100% need, i'm willing to sacrafice everything else. is there anything else i should know?

It'll run considerably slower if you only have 4GB RAM or haven't upgraded to an SSD. Also some old software may have compatibility issues. So you may want to list what software you use and their version numbers. The same goes with peripherals.

Solution