[SOLVED] Upgrading Macbook Pro HDD and (hopefully) hackintosh on new custom build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate.hartmann

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Hello, as a (brand) new PC builder I have a few questions that this thread can hopefully answer. Firstly, I seek clarification on upgrading the HDD in my girlfriends MacBook to an SSD, upgrading the OS with a clean install. Then, how can doing this first aid my future hackintosh.
Specs:
MacBook Pro: 7,1 OS: 10.6.8 CPU 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo RAM: 2X2GB 1066Mhz (I have purchased a compatible 2X4GB 1066Mhz kit to swap out during HDD swap) HDD: Hitachi 250GB 5400RPM (To be replaced with Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD) GPU: Nvidia GeForce 320m 256MB (a battery replacement at the same time - not really relevant)
What I understand of this process, I will (and have) backed up all relevant files to (256gb USB 3.0), Use MacBook pro and apple store to download and create bootable USB installer for OSX El Capitan (on 32gb USB 2.0).
From here, my questions begin: 1) The free download to El Capitan online says it requires 10.6.8 (which is on the MacBook already) however, I plan to do a clean install on a new SSD. Will I be able to do a clean install to the SSD if this OS is not present on it... If not, must I upgrade OS on current HDD and then further to Sierra or High Sierra, then create time machine backup. How do I load this to the new SSD? (I want to avoid this process simply because I tried the time machine backup on the MacBook already and after hours I kept on getting stuck. Tried completing it in chunks and still no success.)
This leads to question 2) ...provided I am successful at the above... I should now have the Old HDD from the MacBook with (some version of either 10.6.8, el cap, or sierra on it). Taking this HDD and connecting it to my fresh custom PC build... is it as simple as selecting the appropriate boot drive from BIOS and loading of this HDD and (PRESTO) hackintosh...?? This seems too simple, please clarify, I am a NOOB. Specs on the new PC follow:
Model: Super awesome and custom - not yet named CPU: i3 8100 3.6Ghz 4-core/4-thread Cooler: Gammaxx 400 OS: Win 10 home 64bit MOBO: Gigabyte Auorus Gaming 5 w/ wifi AC RAM: Kingston Hyper X 2X4gb 2133Mhz HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Western Digital Blue (filling fast, second storage drive coming soon) GPU: GTX 1050ti 4GB PSU: Thermaltake 500w non-modular (<-- never again)... I mean honestly its fine... but cables :S
Honestly cannot get enough of this type of stuff since building, very excited to be joining this community.

Solution
I know just enough, which is very little, about creating a "Hackintosh" to know it is not as simple as adding the drive and selecting the proper boot device. So, you are correct in stating that it would be too simple to be able to do it that way.

Depending on the model year of the MacBook you should be able to do a clean install of the OS on the MacBook via the Internet. There is an option to do this when the right key combinations are pressed during the start-up process. Without knowing the exact model I can't give or link to specific instructions. Swapping the HDD for an SSD should be a straight forward and easy enough process.

As far as installing the Apple OS on a PC you run into the problem of it being illegal to install...
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nate.hartmann : "Upgrading Macbook Pro HDD and (hopefully) hackintosh on new custom build"

I know just enough, which is very little, about creating a "Hackintosh" to know it is not as simple as adding the drive and selecting the proper boot device. So, you are correct in stating that it would be too simple to be able to do it that way.

Depending on the model year of the MacBook you should be able to do a clean install of the OS on the MacBook via the Internet. There is an option to do this when the right key combinations are pressed during the start-up process. Without knowing the exact model I can't give or link to specific instructions. Swapping the HDD for an SSD should be a straight forward and easy enough process.

As far as installing the Apple OS on a PC you run into the problem of it being illegal to install it on non-Apple hardware and the problem of obtaining a legitimate copy.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.