Upgrading memory for a P55

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hey everyone,

I am looking to upgrade the ram on my P55-usb 3-Rev 1, with an I7-860. I currently have 8 gigs of 1600 Gskill and I want the fastest possible option under $200 so I am thinking about this

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 MHz (PC3 17000) Desktop, Red

Not sure if I can post links but I found this at Amazon for $186. is this good for my system or should I choose something else?

I need something rather low in profile because of my large cpu cooler.

Thanks,
Rich

Valnac

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014
It's been shown that faster timings influence more than higher clock rates, though that memory is still excellent. Memory after a certain point comes down to which manufacturers you trust and which aesthetics you like for your price-point.

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks,

Do you have any recommendations? In other words, if this was your rig what would you get?

This is an older rig and I am honestly in need of a complete rebuild. I am looking for decent memory that hopefully I can carry over to my next rig when i have the money.

just a few more specs, this one has ATI Radeon HD5770, a 750 watt Mad Dog powersupply and a really decent cpu cooler all in a coolermaster Storm case. I used to overclock but I have been running stock cpu settings lately. I am definitely in need of some tweaks again so I am planning on the ram upgrade from the current 8 gig Gskill Ripjaw 1500 to 16gig and I may grab an ssd drive for my os as well. For not the first focis ios the ram so what ever you guys suggest would be helpful.

Thanks

Valnac

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014
Technically 2 dual channel kits should be faster than 1 but you've just doubled your potential failure rate. Can't recommend anything in brand particular as a lot has to do with you preference.

Did some checking and according to GB website your motherboard doesn't support those speeds. I don't know if a later bios updated this, but on their site it reports differently. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3440#sp

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
CPU is an I7-860 and running stock speed right now but has been overclocked to about 3.9 in the past with no issues. I will most likely be doing this again once I get the new memory installed.

I am looking at:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hey guys,

I got the memory and have just installed it though I think I can do better with the bios settings.

All 16gb are being detected without issue. The problem is that I am still running at 1600 when this ram is 2133. I am not sure how to go higher because I keep crashing when going higher. I know I am doing something wrong with the settings.

I am currently using the following

Baseclock off
Profile`1
everything else is at auto and timings are set to spec. I must raise the multplier but not sure of the best route. Is anyone familiar with this mo board?

###Update-I have managed to increase the timing. I thought the bios was crashing but it was just that warning that pops up. It has been awhile since i made any bios changes.

Thanks!

I hope it is ok to ask here. I figured it would be easier because the ram I am using is already listed. Beautiful ram btw! Much thicker cooling fins than my old ram.

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
I am still not sure what to do with the memory settings. It shows up at boot as 16 gigs running on 1600.

I am not sure how to set this up.

Is there a walk through for setting up 16gb on the p55? Do I use the profile option?

I had it running but not sure it was running well as it should..

Thanks

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks,

Here you go

mainboard.jpg

memory.jpg

cpu.jpg

Let me know if you need more.

##Sorry for the paint screenshots. I did these too quickly. :)

spd.jpg

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Actually running much faster now and much faster than originally.

I think I will overclock again until I get my upgrades.. I am looking at ASUS Z97-DELUXE (NFC & WLC) ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-DELUXE (NFC & WLC) but not sure on the cpu yet. This one is steep but I only upgrade once every few years so as long as it lasts I am fine with it. I like the goodies and am dying to try Thundervolt.

I will make another post on this soon. The way my rig is running right now without even being overclocked is pretty decent at least for work and light gaming so I do not really need to rush but then again my current rig could die any die. I have new hard drives and new ram, I have reseated the cpu and it runs tops and rarely goes over 40C so who knows.

Anyways, thanks again guys!

paullyh

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

Hi webdevoman,

I owns an Asrock P55 Deluxe with the same I7-860 and I plan a similar upgrade with the same 16 Gb (4x4) kit. Currently I am on a CL7 with 8 Gb G.Skill 4 x 2 Gb so if I can't get those 2133 with the new RAM but only 1600 it does not make sense in terms of latency.

How actually did you set those G.SKILL Ripjaws Z S F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH ?!
:??:
Above you had crashes with Profile 2 -- so which settings did you choose in order to get that 2133, please? :ange: