Question upgrading memory on HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower

Mar 29, 2019
I had another question. I'm considering getting an SSD drive for dual-booting.

Now I know that my PSU can manage that, but my question is with 320 W, if I upgraded from 8 GB RAM to the full 16 GB drive, can my PSU manage that as well as the SSD drive?

Here is what I have:

Computer: HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 at 3.0 GHZ
Memory (now): 8 GB DDR3 1333
Optical Drive: DVD Writer/Burner/player (SATA)
Hard Drive: Western Digital 2 TB
External Hard Drive via USB: Seagate 3 TB
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 3048h (XU1 PROCESSOR)
Integrated Video Graphics and Sound: Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset (HP)
PSU: 320 W BTX

Will the RAM 4 sticks at 4 GB each be too much for the PSU? Can I manage upgrading both a hard drive and memory so I don't have to do it for a while? I was looking at going for Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, but I think that the dual installation will end up being Linux Mint 19.2 XFCE. My computer seems to love it even on a VM. So does anyone have an idea if it's OK to have both the SSD and the memory and that my PSU "budget" can afford?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time and patience.
Sincerely yours,
Katherine "Maghdalena" Logan

Lutfij

Titan
For a platform that's as aged as yours, dropping any more money on ram would be moot. Your idea for adding an SSD is on point to help speed up the system and boot times. I wouldn't sink any more money for ram, given how old the processor is. For everyday computing(data entry and emailing) you're fine with 8GB.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
I had another question. I'm considering getting an SSD drive for dual-booting.

Now I know that my PSU can manage that, but my question is with 320 W, if I upgraded from 8 GB RAM to the full 16 GB drive, can my PSU manage that as well as the SSD drive?

Here is what I have:

Computer: HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 at 3.0 GHZ
Memory (now): 8 GB DDR3 1333
Optical Drive: DVD Writer/Burner/player (SATA)
Hard Drive: Western Digital 2 TB
External Hard Drive via USB: Seagate 3 TB
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 3048h (XU1 PROCESSOR)
Integrated Video Graphics and Sound: Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset (HP)
PSU: 320 W BTX

Will the RAM 4 sticks at 4 GB each be too much for the PSU? Can I manage upgrading both a hard drive and memory so I don't have to do it for a while? I was looking at going for Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, but I think that the dual installation will end up being Linux Mint 19.2 XFCE. My computer seems to love it even on a VM. So does anyone have an idea if it's OK to have both the SSD and the memory and that my PSU "budget" can afford?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time and patience.
Sincerely yours,
I's say each memory modules draws on average about 5w, and SSD are more power efficient than hard drives, should be also about 5w. I got a HP 6200 MT with a 320w psu that comes with either i3-2100 with 65w tdp, or i5-2400/i5-2600 with a tdp of 95w, so, even though that psu is old, it should accomodate with ease another 25-30w.
As Lutfij said, 8gb of ram is enough for everyday use; 16gb would be more adequate for light to moderate video editing, which is out of way for a 2c/2t cpu.

Mar 29, 2019
I's say each memory modules draws on average about 5w, and SSD are more power efficient than hard drives, should be also about 5w. I got a HP 6200 MT with a 320w psu that comes with either i3-2100 with 65w tdp, or i5-2400/i5-2600 with a tdp of 95w, so, even though that psu is old, it should accomodate with ease another 25-30w.
As Lutfij said, 8gb of ram is enough for everyday use; 16gb would be more adequate for light to moderate video editing, which is out of way for a 2c/2t cpu.

OK. I would be occasionally using Windows 10 in a VM. It kinda chokes on only 4 GB of memory. What about that? I was thinking if I had more memory, Windows 10 would run better when I do run it or should I just use Windows 7 for my Windows, and then Linux Mint would be our main driver. Good to know that there's enough power to handle the memory in case I needed it. We would be doing some video editing for YouTube using Openshot in Linux, now that you mention it, LOL. ;) (Though, technically, I guess we could hire that out to Fiverr too, if need be.

Thanks