Upgrading memory on my dell inspiron laptop

zachbb

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Hi

I am considering upgrading the memory on my dell inspiron 1720 laptop. I currently have 2GB of RAM and am considering upgrading to 4GB (2x2GB).

From what I read online, the Inspiron 1720 supports PC2-5300 (667 MHz) memory. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, are there any cons to upgrading the memory on my Dell? I am mainly afraid that the memory that I will put in will be inferior in terms of speed, CLS, or something like that, to the memory that came with the dell.

Here is what I am looking at (just about the only thing I can get from the local shops):
Corsair Value Select SoDIMM DDR2 2Go PC2-5300 (667 MHz).

Thanks

Zach

Solution

AFAIK, the lower your cycle time the better, since low cycle times mean data can be read from your memory more quickly. I'd only stay away from the Kingston if people have been complaining about the quality. Hope this helps!

r_manic

Administrator
I've seen at least one online vendor market PC2-5300 SODIMMs as "for the Dell Inspiron 1720", so I think you're right.

I've had friends who've updated their laptops' memories with third-party sticks, and haven't heard any complaints. :)

zachbb

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
thanks for the reply.

I am hesitating between the Corsair RAM and the Kingston RAM. One thing I noticed is that the "Cycle times" (tRAS) are different.

My current DELL memory: Cycle time 15
Corsair: Cycle time 12
Kingston: Cyle time 15

Is it better to get a lower cycle time because it's faster, or the same cycle time because it's what I currently have and will work better?

r_manic

Administrator

AFAIK, the lower your cycle time the better, since low cycle times mean data can be read from your memory more quickly. I'd only stay away from the Kingston if people have been complaining about the quality. Hope this helps!

Solution