Upgrading Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello all,
I am using GigaByte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Intel Smart Response and 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module Cosair i believe it is.

Any suggestion on upgrading memory to optimize my system?
Thanks.

Solution
It really depends on what you're doing. 8GB is more than enough for almost anything. Media editing, RAM disks, and running multiple Virtual Machines at the same time are just about the only reasons for more than 8GB.

Also, 1600 is the sweet spot and there'll be virtually no real world gains from anything faster. RAM related benchmarks will show the difference and it will help with RAM disk speed, but you'll never "feel" the difference otherwise.

Speed comparisons.

39732.png

39732.png

39735.png

3E1CH4N53N

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
If you have 64 bit Operating System you can add more yours can have 32 GB if you want to get the best go to the Gigabyte website and look up your motherboard. It should tell you which ones are supported. If you want to get more ram but are on a budget then go for standard DDR3 ram. I bought standard and gaming ram just to find out gaming ram is no different in speed just a name, price, and looks.

It really depends on what you're doing. 8GB is more than enough for almost anything. Media editing, RAM disks, and running multiple Virtual Machines at the same time are just about the only reasons for more than 8GB.

Also, 1600 is the sweet spot and there'll be virtually no real world gains from anything faster. RAM related benchmarks will show the difference and it will help with RAM disk speed, but you'll never "feel" the difference otherwise.

Speed comparisons.

39732.png

39732.png

39735.png

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.