[SOLVED] Upgrading MOBO + CPU on older build, keeping everything else?

sheehan469

Honorable
Feb 13, 2015
Hello The Forum!

I believe I need to upgrade my CPU for faster processing of photo and video work, and to obtain the ability to work with the h.265 codec. My current rig was built in February of 2015. I have a mobo with an 1150 socket, which means I need a new mobo as well. I would prefer to keep the rest of the system (with the exception of maybe the ram?) for now. My gtx 980 isn't top of the line anymore, but in games it gets me mid-high settings and 60-70 frames and that's fine for now. I will be looking at the rumored new gpus in Q3/Q4/? when they're released, but it's not a priority.

Is it reasonable to think I could upgrade the Mobo/CPU/RAM and keep my PSU (wattage allowing), HDDs, SSDs, cooler, etc.?

This is my pc in its current state: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/exoscout/saved/rzHgt6

If upgrading is feasible what is the most current chipset style? I bought into the 1150 apparently just before it was phased out, and I'd like to avoid that. Future proofing is useless at a point but I tried it with this rig, and it's done me well for more than 6 years. I'd like to have the next one for as long.

Waiting for further releases is also fine, my rig works fine and I'm only looking into it to save myself time and energy making do with what I have - nothing is broken so nothing is urgent.

Any thoughts, advice, and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!!

Solution
You will also need to get new ram.
your ram is ddr3, while any modern platform would require ddr4.

As for if thats feasible, yes you have a not bad quality power supply and everything else is quite good, so no use in replacing it.

Intel just released lga1200, so it will last for atleast this, and next generation.
Amd just released b550 boards, which currently support ryzen 3rd gen and will support 4th gen, but i doubt it will 5th, since that is rumoured to use ddr5.
thats a very logical thought... the parts from ur old pc build is perfectly fine... and yeah about future proofing, its not possible as technological advances are happening every minute as we speak... So yeah the only components u shud upgrade for now is the cpu, mobo and ram; But one thing to decide is whether u want a new generation altogether with ddr5 ram and such or stick with the latest gen processors... if so, u need to wait a year and a half or so... But if u want the latest greatest, then u can go for the 3950x and it will give u at least 5 to 7 years for productivity purposes before u even think of upgrading... or the other option is go for the new generation, purchase an amd processor and motherboard with a good set of ram and then keep updating only the processor every 2 years with their new ones if they support like they did this generation...
Ohh and one more thing, that i7 processor is still a very capable one...

You will also need to get new ram.
your ram is ddr3, while any modern platform would require ddr4.

As for if thats feasible, yes you have a not bad quality power supply and everything else is quite good, so no use in replacing it.

Intel just released lga1200, so it will last for atleast this, and next generation.
Amd just released b550 boards, which currently support ryzen 3rd gen and will support 4th gen, but i doubt it will 5th, since that is rumoured to use ddr5.

Solution