Upgrading Mobo/CPU/RAM/OS and how to proceed

Wingzero01

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
Hello, I am looking to upgrade parts for the first and only PC that I built back in January 2014 for gaming. I had extensive help from a friend who is not in the area anymore. So I am still naive with how things work and don't want to mess anything up. I have learned and read a lot though and understand there is always risk involved.

I am replacing the parts in this list (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/F4FzNN) with these (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9NdPzM) already replaced my EVGA 780ti with a MSI 1070. I have an OEM copy of windows 8.1 64 bit that was upgraded to windows 10 home with the free upgrade.

1) So do I need to buy a new copy of windows 10 since mine is 8.1 OEM with the Mobo change? From reading other forum posts it seems I can call microsoft and they will grant me my windows 10? But it seems like a stretch since I don't have a retail version and it was the free upgrade from windows 8.1. I was wondering if anyone was able to pull this off?

2) Once I have windows 10, what is the easiest way/method to completely clean install Windows 10? I have windows on my SSD and all my other stuff on the mechanical drive. I plan on selling the parts I am replacing to pay for some of the new parts, so I won't have the old and new parts at the same time. Can I just format the SSD (boot drive), take out the old parts, unhook the mechanical drive (so none of the windows stuff ends up on here, this happened before and I needed to reinstall from a bootable USB drive to be able to only use the SSD to boot), put in the new parts and launch the windows 10 installer?

3) Also what do I need to do with the bios once replacing the specific parts, would it basically be boot order and XMP profiles for RAM. As I said earlier I understand a lot more since the PC was built, but my friend did the initial setup with windows and the bios when the PC was first assembled.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

those are mostly wasted money on sidegrades

get a 1440p monitor

Wingzero01

Distinguished
May 18, 2013

I am thinking about this as my actual alternative as the price for a g sync 144hz 1ms 1440p is similar to the total of the new parts cost, just wanted to see how I would best go about my question for the future. Went down the rabbit hole with new parts/benchmarks and looking at forum posts especially in regards to installing/reacquiring windows 10 with the situation I am in and with a new Mobo.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

yeah, dont overcomplicate things

keep what you have, get a good monitor for that 1070 =)