Upgrading MOBO + CPU

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I'm considering to upgrade my current motherboard and CPU.

I currently have

Intel core i7 3770k
Asus sabertooth Z77
Corsair H100i
16 GB (4x4) G.Skill Ripjawz 2133 Mhz
Corsair Force 3
2 x Palit Jetstream GTX 680 4GB in SLI
Cooler Master Cosmos II
XFX 1050W Pro series

I would like to upgrade my CPU in the future to the Ivy-Bridge-E series. That would require me to upgrade my Motherboard to socket 2011 as well. I'm thinking of buying the successor of the i7 - 3930K with an high-end ASUS motherboard (Rampage V or something).
I might get another 4x4 kit if the motherboard support 8 DIMMs.

I'm willing to spend a total of €900~€1000

Reason I want to upgrade:
I want to be able to handle more virtual machines. I have to setup networks for my education and I'm using VMware to do so. (at least 3 Server 2012's and 2 Windows 8 machines, but probably more) Also, I really want a new motherboard to get some extra space between my Video Cards. My current top card can reach up to 90 C under full load with Furmark + Prime95 in my case (while my CPU gets only 65 C, the air temperature in my case is fine).

Question:
Does someone know more about the release date, or maybe even the models they are going to release? Would this be a smart decision, or would you suggest another upgrade?
Is there an estimated price? Would the new series be more expensive, or would the successor cost the same as the current, and would the current lower in price?

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
It's also because of the new Motherboard. I hoped I could get a motherboard that would be able to create some space between my GPU's. My current GPU's only have 1/2 PCI slot space between them. The top one gets extremely hot without overclocking (Airflow in case is good).
My current motherboard also blocks my H100i. I can only put 3 fans on it now, because the thermal armor is in the way :S.

And ofcourse it's not only for the VM's.. I don't have 2 GTX 680 4GB's in SLI to run Virtual Machines :p I game frequently high-end games and a lot of games don't run smoothly, while GPU's are on <50% usage.. But then still I'm not sure it's the CPU, probably not, but a better one won't hurt.

I do have the money for it, and would like to upgrade it. I just need some more information to consider it.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Well, I'd have to wait untill they actually release Ivy Bridge - E anyway.. But I was just trying to learn more about it.. What would be the pro's and what would be the con's.. And after all, what would be the specs.. I've seen people say it's going to be 6 core, just like Sandy Bridge - E.. And hardly any clock speeds increased.. But some other random site told me it might get to 8 cores, or even higher.. I'm really curious..