Upgrading mobo do I have to wipe both hard drives?

Marty29

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
I am upgrading to a new PC I am building. New Mobo, CPU, Ram, case.

I have a SSD and a normal HD. Windows is installed on the SSD. Am I ok to just reformat the SSD and reinstall windows once I put the new PC together and just plug the other HD in like normal, or do both drives need to be wiped?

Thanks!

Solution
Hey there, Marty!

You won't need to re-format your HDD if you have only data on it. You can just plug and access your data.
However, if it's previously used as an OS booting hard drive and you have software apps installed on it, I'd recommend reformatting it to avoid any sort of confusion with the operating system. It is also not for certain that the apps will run flawlessly if they were installed on your previous system.

Hope this helps! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, Marty!

You won't need to re-format your HDD if you have only data on it. You can just plug and access your data.
However, if it's previously used as an OS booting hard drive and you have software apps installed on it, I'd recommend reformatting it to avoid any sort of confusion with the operating system. It is also not for certain that the apps will run flawlessly if they were installed on your previous system.

Hope this helps! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution