[SOLVED] Upgrading Mobo, need your knowledge!

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Hey!
Looking to upgrade my mobo as it is now probably the lowest tier item in my setup, and it’s limiting me from even upgrading cases as it doesn’t even have a RGB header for extra fans etc.
I am looking for a MOBO in the 100-200e range, that suits my i7 7770k and other components, full specs below.

Thanks for the help!

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7770K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
MOBO:
GigaByte DAZ270P-D3
HDD: 1TB Generic
SDD: 100GB + 250GB WD SSDs
COOLER: EVO 212

Solution
Waste of money.

If you want RGB, there are plenty of products on the market that offer discrete RGB fan controllers, and control via USB/Software.

Z270 boards are kind of outdated, pricing for high end boards will likely be inflated well above 100-200 Euro.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Waste of money.

If you want RGB, there are plenty of products on the market that offer discrete RGB fan controllers, and control via USB/Software.

Z270 boards are kind of outdated, pricing for high end boards will likely be inflated well above 100-200 Euro.

Reactions: DXVIDM
Solution

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Waste of money.

Oh, I had no idea RGB fans could be run via USB? What would I search to look into this? Any brands or items?

So basically you are saying my mobo is decent enough right now? No need to upgrade?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Dozens to pick from.

Commander Pro?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ting-and-Fan-Speed-Controller/p/CL-9011110-WW

The ones with discrete fan controllers generally come in kits with a number of fans.

I am saying I would not spend money to replace a Z270 board unless it has failed. 7700k just isn't worth it any longer. i5-10400 would out perform it, AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT is competitive, doesn't require a fancy motherboard to overclock. And the 10600K, well that just about makes the best gaming CPU unless you really need 8 or 10 cores.

Then again, I would not go out of my way for RGB fans either.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Dozens to pick from.

Commander Pro?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/iCUE-CONTROLLERS/iCUE-Commander-PRO-Smart-RGB-Lighting-and-Fan-Speed-Controller/p/CL-9011110-WW

The ones with discrete fan controllers generally come in kits with a number of fans.

I am saying I would not spend money to replace a Z270 board unless it has failed. 7700k just isn't worth it any longer. i5-10400 would out perform it, AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT is competitive, doesn't require a fancy motherboard to overclock. And the 10600K, well that just about makes the best gaming CPU unless you really need 8 or 10 cores.

Then again, I would not go out of my way for RGB fans either.
Oh ok I see, I didn’t even know these controllers existed!
To be honest I had posted a thread in the components section a few days ago asking if I should upgrade any parts to my PC as I had some cash lying around, and people just said not to bother, that it’s fine for gaming right now. I will probably want a 3070 so does that mean I should begin looking at new mobos/ cpu then? I have no idea where to start!
Would a 10600k be a good option? Or what would you recommend?

thanks for the help also!

(also, can you still respond in here if I select your answer as best answer? Or will it lock the thread?)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on your monitor really. RTX2070 is pretty good for 1080p 144hz, or 1440p 60hz.

RTX3070 is more set to tackle 3440x1440p or 4K at 120hz.

Probably wouldn't bother going from the 7700k to anything at this time. Even at stock it is the equivalent of some of the higher end CPUs in gaming. Unless you play a lot of Strategy, or turn based games that require a lot of CPU cores. Most games still rely on single threaded performance. Intel hasn't done too much on that front since Skylake.

4th gen AMD should be out around the time the 3070 is out, I would wait at least until then. Intel is going to do one more generation on LGA1200, that should be the first PCIe 4.0 from Intel (AMD already there). After that they are going to DDR5 and a new socket.

Myself, probably make the jump to AMD 4th gen if it is compelling, or wait for DDR5.

I run my 7700k at a very high voltage to reach 5Ghz, so not sure how long it will last. If it pops, probably pick up a 9700k and do bios modding to run it on this board. Might do that anyway if I spot a used one here soon. Worst case I brick a Z270 board, pick up a Z390.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Depends on your monitor really. RTX2070 is pretty good for 1080p 144hz, or 1440p 60hz.

RTX3070 is more set to tackle 3440x1440p or 4K at 120hz.

Probably wouldn't bother going from the 7700k to anything at this time. Even at stock it is the equivalent of some of the higher end CPUs in gaming. Unless you play a lot of Strategy, or turn based games that require a lot of CPU cores. Most games still rely on single threaded performance. Intel hasn't done too much on that front since Skylake.

4th gen AMD should be out around the time the 3070 is out, I would wait at least until then. Intel is going to do one more generation on LGA1200, that should be the first PCIe 4.0 from Intel (AMD already there). After that they are going to DDR5 and a new socket.

Myself, probably make the jump to AMD 4th gen if it is compelling, or wait for DDR5.

I run my 7700k at a very high voltage to reach 5Ghz, so not sure how long it will last. If it pops, probably pick up a 9700k and do bios modding to run it on this board. Might do that anyway if I spot a used one here soon. Worst case I brick a Z270 board, pick up a Z390.
My monitor is a 1440p 144Hz but honestly I’m thinking of downgrading, I play FPS games so I never play on high settings, no need for the 1440p really is there?

ok so my take from that is thst currently there is no need to upgrade anything, wait a few months and see how things develop as new products come out? As of right now my system is pretty good?

One other thing you may have the experience in, I want to upgrade my old cheap case and with the specs I’ve listed I’m nervous to grab a case incase it doesn’t fit or doesn’t have the right sockets or something.

I was looking at the Phanteks P400A, would you know if this would fit my system? And with no RGB header on my mobo does this mean I would need a controller or does that case work without the need for one? Again, thank you for the responses, they’ve been incredibly helpful!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With an RTX3070, I don't think it would matter really. I don't play a lot of the latest games, but my GTX1080 gets me above 60FPS in pretty much everything at 1440p.

Though if you play FPS titles, there are 1080p 240-360hz monitors out there.

I believe that case does come with an independent fan controller. You won't have as much control without a compatible motherboard, would just be the presets.

As for compatibility, your CPU cooler is going to be a tight fit, but just makes it in. Everything else is standard. I approve of the front mesh design.

TRENDING THREADS