[SOLVED] Upgrading Monitor

KingChangeIV

Prominent
Nov 1, 2020
Hello,

I am currently debating if I should upgrade my monitor setup to feature two 1440p monitors. In my current setup I would be replacing the 1080p S271HL Dbid with https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012015 or https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012018

Thermaltake Core V71 Extreme Full Tower Chassis
MSI PRO Z490-A PRO LGA 1200 Intel Z490 (MOBO)
Intel Core i7-10700K Comet Lake 8-Core 3.8 GHz (CPU)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5X (GPU)
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 120-G2-1000-XR 80+ GOLD (PSU)
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMT32GX4M2C3200C16 (RAM)
NZXT Kraken X73 360mm (Cooler)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S2T0B/AM) (Storage)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB (Storage) (OS)

Extra's
NZXT AC-HUEPS-M1, HUE+ Smart RGB Color Changing Digitally Controlled LED PC Lighting
BenQ GW2765HT 27-Inch 2560x1440 IPS Monitor, 4ms Main Monitor
Acer S271HL Dbid 27" Secondary

My question is... how much would this affect my performance? My secondary monitor is usually not in use when playing games on the main monitor. Sometime I will have Chrome opened but mostly it's just the Discord app. I don't think this will have too much affect but I know there can be significant gain in frame if you play in 1080p resolution.

Solution

V sync will work with any graphics card and does a fine job of keeping tearing and other artifacts from happening in relation to frame rate, at a cost to performance. FreeSync and G sync were designed to work with AMD/Nvidia GPU's respectively. IF you get a monitor that is "FreeSync", look for it to also be G sync compatible, or at least have V sync. Full on G sync monitors are (on average) several hundred dollars more due to the module needed for it to operate (from Nvidia).
My own experience with FreeSync on a GTX1080 has been VERY poor with stuttering being the common issue even when using frame rate limits and such. YMMV
Second monitor wont affect anything,its there just to display.
Honestly i would just buy 1 1440p main gaming monitor instead of 2.
The seconds one is just for your discord and chrome,why spend 300$ dollars on it???
Save up that money for a new GPU if that ever becomes available in this century.

KingChangeIV

Prominent
Nov 1, 2020
Second monitor wont affect anything,its there just to display.
Honestly i would just buy 1 1440p main gaming monitor instead of 2.
The seconds one is just for your discord and chrome,why spend 300$ dollars on it???
Save up that money for a new GPU if that ever becomes available in this century.
Hey there, I only meant I am getting a new monitor to be my main so I was just going to move my main to be my secondary and purchase a new monitor for primary use. So retiring the 1080p, thank you for that info though, any thoughts on those two monitors I am considering?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

V sync will work with any graphics card and does a fine job of keeping tearing and other artifacts from happening in relation to frame rate, at a cost to performance. FreeSync and G sync were designed to work with AMD/Nvidia GPU's respectively. IF you get a monitor that is "FreeSync", look for it to also be G sync compatible, or at least have V sync. Full on G sync monitors are (on average) several hundred dollars more due to the module needed for it to operate (from Nvidia).
My own experience with FreeSync on a GTX1080 has been VERY poor with stuttering being the common issue even when using frame rate limits and such. YMMV

Solution