Question Upgrading most of my PC

Jan 19, 2019
So I'm replacing a huge chunk of my PC, almost all of it actually. I'm looking into a Ryzen 7 3700x build. I'm hoping to buy a lot of these components during the Amazon Prime Day sale which I hope some things will be on sale. I will be purchasing only from amazon because it's the only place that has free shipping for me. My budget is $900(before tax), the lower the better, but I'm open to going above it if you think it's worth it. I do have one concern I have not built AMD since the AMD 64 3500 and I don't know how their current stuff works. My question is can I get a x470 motherboard and update so it works with Ryzen 3000 it even though I don't have a Ryzen 1000x or 2000x CPU, I heard on MSI you can just use a USB flash drive to update it. I will be using this mostly for gaming, probably some video encoding, and possibly video editing.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x(I will buy this later when in stock)
GPU: GTX 960(I already have this in my current build, no purchase needed)
Mobo: 470x AM4 motherboard(I don't need Wifi, 10Gb, or a high end soundcard. Maybe just some basic overclocking)
PSU: 700 watt PSU(Already have this)
Storage: 1TB M.2 NVME or Sata(I don't know the pros and cons between the two)
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200-3600mhz
Case:Fractal Design FD-CA-MESH-C https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPP9KYD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 (for the case im open to suggestions too if anyone knows a better case for around the same price)
CPU Cooler: Air cooler. Open for suggestions if you guys think its necessary or not
Thermal paste: Open for suggestions

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Mobo: 470x AM4 motherboard
What exact make and model motherboard are you planning on getting? My current understanding is only certain manufacturers allow for a USB based BIOS update without a compatible CPU (like the MSI B450 Tomahawk).
PSU: 700 watt PSU(Already have this)
What make and model PSU is it exactly?
Storage: 1TB M.2 NVME or Sata(I don't know the pros and cons between the two)
Are you referring purely to M.2 interface NVME vs SATA? or a general NVME M2 vs standard 2.5 form SATA?
Basically, NVMe in benchmarks is massively quicker, but in world application, there is little to seperate them outside of data transfer. So you are probably best just going for most storage for the price from a reputable manufacturer. M.2 has the benefit of not needing any cables, but usually also disables a SATA port.
CPU Cooler: Air cooler. Open for suggestions if you guys think its necessary or not
What kind of budget are you looking at?
Thermal paste: Open for suggestions
Really, any reputable thermal paste will be fine.

Jan 19, 2019
What exact make and model motherboard are you planning on getting? My current understanding is only certain manufacturers allow for a USB based BIOS update without a compatible CPU (like the MSI B450 Tomahawk).

What make and model PSU is it exactly?

Are you referring purely to M.2 interface NVME vs SATA? or a general NVME M2 vs standard 2.5 form SATA?
Basically, NVMe in benchmarks is massively quicker, but in world application, there is little to seperate them outside of data transfer. So you are probably best just going for most storage for the price from a reputable manufacturer. M.2 has the benefit of not needing any cables, but usually also disables a SATA port.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

Really, any reputable thermal paste will be fine.

Jan 19, 2019
I'm not sure on which motherboard but I was leaning towards MSI because they have USB flash motherboards to update the BIOS without using an older Ryzen CPU.

EVGA 700 Watt bronze PSU

I think I'm going to go with Intel 660p NVME M.2 drive 1TB, It's on sale for $96 on amazon right now.

Total budget would be around $900 for everything(CPU,Mobo, RAM, NVME M.2 storage, Case, CPU cooler air[if necessary])