Upgrading Motherboard and CPU $300

Romeo16

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
Approximate Purchase Date: December 1st (Cyber Monday)
Budget Range: $200-300 After Shipping (I have free shipping with newegg)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the Internet, Watching Movies
Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: Mobo and CPU
Do you need to buy OS: Yes (I can buy Windows 7 cheap from University Bookstore unless anyone knows where I can get it cheaper. I have CDs from my Dell XPS 8300 but I believe the license wouldn't work with a new third-party Mobo)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU and any reputable brand for Mobo
Overclocking: No
Crossfire: Maybe in the future
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Why Am I Upgrading: I would like to play games on Ultra Graphics settings
Additional Comments:

• Dell XPS 8300
    Dell 0Y2MRG Mobo
    Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
    Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
    CORSAIR CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3
    Sapphire ATI Radeon R9 280X
    16GB RAM (4x4GB)
Games to run:

• Dota 2
    Starcraft 2
    Lords of the Fallen
    Tom Clancy's: The Division
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Hi all you geniuses. I am thinking about upgrading my CPU and my Mobo this Cyber Monday, December 1st however I would prefer to do this without buying a new computer case. I like how the Dell XPS 8300 looks and would prefer to keep it. However I know Dell designs their cases specifically for their parts and that may be an issue with the measurements of a new Mobo. I am looking at purchasing the http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117302&cm_re=Intel_Core_i5-4460-_-19-117-302-_-Product ] Intel Core i5-4460 [/url] however it will not work with my current Dell 0Y2MRG Mobo because the Mobo only has a LGA 1155 slot and the new 4th generation Intel Processors are LGA 1150.

I could buy a 3rd generation Intel Processor that would fit in the LGA 1155 slot but I've been told moving up one generation isn't worth the cost for performance and they seem to be more expensive than the 4th generation Intel Processors. Because of this I would like to upgrade the Mobo as well. I know that the Dell 0Y2MRG Mobo is Micro-ATX and I was hoping to find another Mobo that would be able to replace it in the Dell XPS 8300 computer case.

If anyone has any insight on a Micro-ATX Mobo that has USB 3.0 and PCI Express x16 3.0, can fit in a Dell XPS 8300 computer case, and would be good enough to run the games listed on Ultra Graphics settings your help would be greatly appreciated :). Also I might Crossfire sometime in the future but it's not completely necessary. If it is impossible to find a Micro-ATX Mobo that can fit in the computer case then would you be able to recommend cheap computer case that looks sleek but not too flashy (I don't want all the lights and print designs) and has good ventilation? Also I would need advice on fans, etc. because I know that some new cases do not come with anything.

I know this is a lot to ask and would probably require experience with the Dell XPS 8300 Mobo and Computer Case but it would be really awesome to get some help with this. Please let me know if you need any more information and thanks again :D.

Solution
You are wasting money. The i5 will not be an upgrade from the i7 you have in there. It will not really improve your gameplay at all.

Your system with the i7 and r9 280x will easily max all the games you listed. no problem.

Romeo16

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
Oh okay, so upgrading from a 2nd gen i7 to a 4th gen i5 won't make that much of a difference for the cost? I can't run Lords of the Fallen at Ultra, just Very High.