Upgrading motherboard and cpu

Petlan

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
Hi.

I am Upgrading my PC, i am Upgrading my motherboard, cpu and ram. Regarding the install of OS i will have to Get A new ssd and buy A new copy of Windows?

Solution

I never said you didn't have to re-install it. I just said you don't have to get a new key..there's a difference. It is still recommended to do a clean install, but the key can stay the same. I STRONGLY recommend to just do a clean install and re-install your programs. It will be a pain at first, but at least the frustration...
If you have Windows 10, you do NOT have to get new copy of windows. Same goes for the retail version of Windows 7. However, if not, you can steal call Microsoft, and let them know that you had to do a hardware change, and they should allow the activation to go through.

Petlan

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017

How do i Get my current version of Windows over? Wont IT be trouble with the drivers from the old motherboard if i use the same disk?

I never said you didn't have to re-install it. I just said you don't have to get a new key..there's a difference. It is still recommended to do a clean install, but the key can stay the same. I STRONGLY recommend to just do a clean install and re-install your programs. It will be a pain at first, but at least the frustration level will be low in the future.

Solution