[SOLVED] Upgrading motherboard and CPU ?

Andrew T

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2014
Greetings.
After near 3 years, I am thinking to buy a B550 motherboard and the Ryzen 5600X
So far, Iam happy with my build:

Ryzen 1800x
16G RAM (3200 OC
Asus Crosshair X370 and
Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+

But thinking to jump on a new chipset + CPU. Was thinking to purchace 3700X , I have update my latest bios so I know I can install it. But concern me if will work well with X370 chipset.

So my question is : Will 5600X perform well with my Vega 64 Nitro+? Or I will have bottleneck in 1440p gaming?
Was thinking at first to update my card (some of new 6000 series from AMD) but we all see , scalpers and crypto-miners what they have done to the prices.
So for now I will stick with my current GPU.
Thanks

Solution
Most games, particularly fast action games will be limited by the graphics card and not the cpu.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

You now have plenty of processing threads(16)
Unless you play multiplayer with many participants, it is hard to effectively use more than 4-6 threads.
A R5 5600x with 12 threads is likely a good upgrade since the single thread performance is considerably stronger.
Passmark rating 3382 vs. 2182

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Greetings.
After near 3 years, I am thinking to buy a B550 motherboard and the Ryzen 5600X
So far, Iam happy with my build:

Ryzen 1800x
16G RAM (3200 OC
Asus Crosshair X370 and
Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+

But thinking to jump on a new chipset + CPU. Was thinking to purchace 3700X , I have update my latest bios so I know I can install it. But concern me if will work well with X370 chipset.

So my question is : Will 5600X perform well with my Vega 64 Nitro+? Or I will have bottleneck in 1440p gaming?
Was thinking at first to update my card (some of new 6000 series from AMD) but we all see , scalpers and crypto-miners what they have done to the prices.
So for now I will stick with my current GPU.
Thanks
Ryzen 5600x won't bottleneck your gpu infact Ryzen 5600x can handle up to RTX 3080 but you are downgrading to 6C/12T .According to Asus your mobo supports Ryzen 3000.I personally woudn't buy anything right now wait to see what's intel 11th gen about

Go to the ASUS website and look up the latest BIOS revisions for your Asus Crosshair X370...it will list the supported CPUs for each BIOS on the Support page. That's a pretty solid board so it can handle the 3700x as long as the BIOS support is there.

The 5600x is faster than the 3700x in gaming and pretty much everything else besides a few specific applications that demand more cores.

The 5600x will let the Vega64 run at its full potential which for the Vega64 will probably be med-high settings @ 1440p depending on the game in question.

Most games, particularly fast action games will be limited by the graphics card and not the cpu.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

You now have plenty of processing threads(16)
Unless you play multiplayer with many participants, it is hard to effectively use more than 4-6 threads.
A R5 5600x with 12 threads is likely a good upgrade since the single thread performance is considerably stronger.
Passmark rating 3382 vs. 2182

Solution