Question Upgrading Motherboard + compatibility

rcorado

Honorable
Oct 25, 2015
I'm planning on upgrading my motherboard + cpu. I'm thinking about ordering the intel 10900k.I need everything to be compatible would my only concern by motherboard + cpu? My current settup.
And what motherboard would you guys recommend? Probably around 200-300$ motherbaord
Nvcidia g-force 2080ti
32gb ram
4790k (1150 socket)
psu wat 1k not sure which one i have.

Last edited:
You would also need new RAM. Your current RAM will be DDR3 and a modern setup will need DDR4. It’s likely you would also need a cpu cooler upgrade for a 10900k. I would wait for the new Ryzen 5000 benchmarks before making any cpu choices, it’s looking like Ryzen may be ahead in all aspects this time.

Reactions: rcorado

rcorado

Honorable
Oct 25, 2015
You would also need new RAM. Your current RAM will be DDR3 and a modern setup will need DDR4. It’s likely you would also need a cpu cooler upgrade for a 10900k. I would wait for the new Ryzen 5000 benchmarks before making any cpu choices, it’s looking like Ryzen may be ahead in all aspects this time.
I just really want to upgrade my cpu, feel like its outdated and also slowing down the pc. I have had it since it came out... about 5 years ago? I'm getting about 50-110 fps on cod with an average of around 70 with my set up... with everything on low settings.

I just really want to upgrade my cpu, feel like its outdated and also slowing down the pc. I have had it since it came out... about 5 years ago? I'm getting about 50-110 fps on cod with an average of around 70 with my set up... with everything on low settings.
Your current cpu was the best cpu made for its socket, you have no upgrade path with your current motherboard. All modern systems use DDR4 RAM and your current cpu only used DDR3 therefore you will need new RAM. The 10900k is a very hot running cpu, from memory I think it about twice the power consumption of your 4790k which is why I suggested you may need a new cpu cooler. At this point though I’d recommend waiting for the new Ryzen 5000 CPU’s. It is looking like AMD will finally beat Intel at single core and multi core performance for a lower price while using less power.

rcorado

Honorable
Oct 25, 2015
Your current cpu was the best cpu made for its socket, you have no upgrade path with your current motherboard. All modern systems use DDR4 RAM and your current cpu only used DDR3 therefore you will need new RAM. The 10900k is a very hot running cpu, from memory I think it about twice the power consumption of your 4790k which is why I suggested you may need a new cpu cooler. At this point though I’d recommend waiting for the new Ryzen 5000 CPU’s. It is looking like AMD will finally beat Intel at single core and multi core performance for a lower price while using less power.
Yea, i read a little about it. What cpu cooler would you recommend? i just got one about a year and a half ago. Not sure what it is. But its doing its job. I might actually go ryzen... will see. I'm just really surprised that on cod, and it's only cod, that im running an average of 60-100 fps average... I dont think that should be the case... Only thing i would think about is my cpu doing that

Yea, i read a little about it. What cpu cooler would you recommend? i just got one about a year and a half ago. Not sure what it is. But its doing its job. I might actually go ryzen... will see. I'm just really surprised that on cod, and it's only cod, that im running an average of 60-100 fps average... I dont think that should be the case... Only thing i would think about is my cpu doing that
For cooler it depends on cpu choice, if you did go 10900k then a 280mm or 360mm AIO. If going Ryzen 5000 then likely you don’t need anything like that.

COD MW is very cpu heavy, it will use 12 threads of my 3700x at about 50-60%.

rcorado

Honorable
Oct 25, 2015
For cooler it depends on cpu choice, if you did go 10900k then a 280mm or 360mm AIO. If going Ryzen 5000 then likely you don’t need anything like that.

COD MW is very cpu heavy, it will use 12 threads of my 3700x at about 50-60%.
If i got with the Ryzen 5000, why wouldnt i need a 280mm or 360mm AIO? Yea i can definitely feel the performance dragging me down with my current cores/threads.