Question Upgrading Motherboard, CPU & RAM without reinstalling windows.

hawicky

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I have the Windows digital license linked already, I'm upgrading from AMD FX8350 to Ryzen 5 2600. Can I go ahead and install the components and should it work okay or should I take any precautions? I have already set a restore point in Windows. Thanks

hawicky

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
You should perform a clean install of Windows when you switch motherboards and parts like that. There will be underlying performance issues if you do not.
What would you recommend as the easiest way to backup the files/apps on my boot drive? I'm also assuming I don't have to backup my non-OS SDD and HDD?

Open up command prompt and type "slmgr -dli". This will show you whether it is activated as retail or OEM. If it says OEM, chances are you will need to buy a new key. If it says retail, it should work.
Note that you might need to re-enter your product key if you are using retail once you change.
Also note, of you are on OEM, you might be able to phone the nice guys at Microsoft, and tell them that you changed your hardware and the key stopped working. Depending on the guy who picks up, they may or may not get it working for you. Just don't specifically tell them you upgraded your MoBo unless they ask.