Upgrading Motherboard will I loose all of my games and data on my hard drive?

Kevin_K15

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
I’m thinking about upgrading my motherboard and adding an ssd as a boot drive for Windows but all of my data for games and programs is on my hard drive. If I got a new motherboard and reinstalled windows on the ssd would I just be able to plug the hard drive in after windows is installed and have all my games and progress saved?

Solution
Downloaded game files, probably. Personal files, yes. Installed programs, generally no. When you install Windows, you create a new Windows registry. Most installed programs have to have entries in the Windows registry to function. So if you get an SSD, make sure it is the only disk connected to the motherboard when you do your Windows install. Then power down and connect your old drive to be a data drive.

kanewolf

Titan
Downloaded game files, probably. Personal files, yes. Installed programs, generally no. When you install Windows, you create a new Windows registry. Most installed programs have to have entries in the Windows registry to function. So if you get an SSD, make sure it is the only disk connected to the motherboard when you do your Windows install. Then power down and connect your old drive to be a data drive.

Solution