[SOLVED] Upgrading Motherboard with Windows 10 question

Jul 16, 2019
Hi all,

So I'm upgrading my motherboard to a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra LGA1151-CL ATX and Iv'e been getting different answers from the computer shop.
First they told me that they could use my current OS drive with Windows 10 on it and connect it to the motherboard no problem and that the OS drive would detect the new motherboard and configure appropriately, now today another guy from the shop called and said that's not the case and I would need a complete fresh install of Windows 10 at a charge of $110.
Can anyone tell me which is correct ? I obviously don't want a fresh install because I will have to reinstall so many different things and also I don't have a lot of money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit I am upgrading from Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 LGA1150 ATX Motherboard and it was a retail copy of Windows 8 with the free upgrade to Windows 10 which I did about a year ago.

Last edited:
What are you upgrading from ? That's just as important. Another thing, what is your license for W10, retail ?
W10 is pretty tolerant with HW changes but there are limits to it. Wouldn't cost you anything to try. If you do, make sure you are connected to internet by wire and it will attempt to pick appropriate drivers from it.

Jul 16, 2019
What are you upgrading from ? That's just as important. Another thing, what is your license for W10, retail ?
W10 is pretty tolerant with HW changes but there are limits to it. Wouldn't cost you anything to try. If you do, make sure you are connected to internet by wire and it will attempt to pick appropriate drivers from it.

Hi Countmike, So I am upgrading from Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 LGA1150 ATX Motherboard and it was a retail copy of Windows 8 with the free upgrade to Windows 10 which I did about a year ago.

They are both Intel so it should work. IT doesn't matter what it was upgraded to W10 from, it's good enough to have digital license at MS. It might be easier if you had an MS account associated with it and sign in with that account once you switch. I did even stranger moves, just recently I booted a W10 installed on Intel C2G 775 machine on my Ryzen system. Took few turns of blue screens but worked.

I feel your pain, had the same issue

read this

tl;dr yes you can but it involves a reinstall AND knowing your productcode beforehand
windows UELA allows for one migration of your windows

Jul 16, 2019
They are both Intel so it should work. IT doesn't matter what it was upgraded to W10 from, it's good enough to have digital license at MS. It might be easier if you had an MS account associated with it and sign in with that account once you switch. I did even stranger moves, just recently I booted a W10 installed on Intel C2G 775 machine on my Ryzen system. Took few turns of blue screens but worked.

Thanks for your time and info :)

Jul 16, 2019
I feel your pain, had the same issue

read this

tl;dr yes you can but it involves a reinstall AND knowing your productcode beforehand
windows UELA allows for one migration of your windows

Thanks for that I will have a read of that now really appreciate the reply

Clean install will be necessary.
But you can migrate windows license from old pc to new one with windows activation troubleshooter.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter
(section - you recently made a significant hardware change)

BTW - shop can not do license migration for you.
Details of your MS account are necessary for this, which you should not share with anyone.

Solution

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Clean install will be necessary.
But you can migrate windows license from old pc to new one with windows activation troubleshooter.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter
(section - you recently made a significant hardware change)

BTW - shop can not do license migration for you.
Details of your MS account are necessary for this, which you should not share with anyone.
A reinstall is not necessary, but recommended. I just upgraded to an X570 motherboard from my old 990FX board and didn't even have to reinstall any drivers. My Windows 10 install got deactivated though, because I had an OEM license.

I just upgraded to an X570 motherboard from my old 990FX board and didn't even have to reinstall any drivers.
If it worked for you, that doesn't mean it'll work always.
Trying to avoid reinstall invites all kinds of problems:
boot mode compatibility between new and old systems (system doesn't boot),​
driver compatibility (performance issues and random BSODs),​
windows activation issues (not possible to reactivate windows).​

Reactions: hftvhftv

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
If it worked for you, that doesn't mean it'll work always.
Trying to avoid reinstall invites all kinds of problems:
boot mode compatibility between new and old systems (system doesn't boot),​
driver compatibility (performance issues and random BSODs),​
windows activation issues (not possible to reactivate windows).​
I'm not disagreeing with your points, it's just that while it's highly recommended, it is not necessary.