[SOLVED] Upgrading motherboard

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Sup,

So, I bought a prebuild from iBuyPower about 2 years ago. I already upgraded the GPU and added a few fans, but the thing is... I want a new motherboard. The motherboard the prebuilt has is absolute garbage, its a Asus H110-PLUS and I just think i need to upgrade it, you can tell me if im wrong below. But other than that, Im not a PC guy so ima let yall decide what i should upgrade to. Something below 200 dollars would be divine. My current CPU is a i7-7700 which is LGA-1151 socket I believe, yeahh.....

Solution
I need more RAM, my ram is dying. Also, I have a second GPU that I may put on this motherboard, and trust me, anything is better than this dirt cheap board that came with the prebuilt.
If you need new RAM then get new RAM. Why does that force you to upgrade the motherboard? So what if it’s a cheap board, what does it not do that you want it to do? A 7700 is not going to run materially different even on a good Z270 board due to it being a locked cpu. If you want a material performance boost then it’s new motherboard and CPU. There is only one cpu better than the 7700 that will work in a 100 or 200 series motherboard.

At the end of the day it’s up to you but I see a motherboard upgrade as a waste of money if the aim is to improve...
I saw this on amazon. would that be good? If not, send me an amazon like to one that you think would suit me.
That is decent.
It’s unlikely you will see any performance gain upgrading the motherboard. Even if you upgrade to a good Z270 board you have no worthwhile cpu upgrade options.

If your going to upgrade the motherboard you should move to a modern platform and cpu.
This is also true. You shouldn't spend your money upgrading motherboard only, unless you're planning on overclocking, which is basically the only useful feature Z270 has over H110.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
It’s unlikely you will see any performance gain upgrading the motherboard. Even if you upgrade to a good Z270 board you have no worthwhile cpu upgrade options.

If your going to upgrade the motherboard you should move to a modern platform and cpu.
I need more RAM, my ram is dying. Also, I have a second GPU that I may put on this motherboard, and trust me, anything is better than this dirt cheap board that came with the prebuilt.

But as the OP has a 7700 and not a 7700K overclocking to any meaningful extent needs a cpu upgrade. Likely it also needs a cooler upgrade too.
Oh I missed that. Yeah it would need a cooler upgrade.
RAM dying has nothing to do with motherboard. Also, neither of these motherboards will support dual GPU well. Anyways, dual GPU is pretty poorly optimized in most games.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Oh I missed that. Yeah it would need a cooler upgrade.

RAM dying has nothing to do with motherboard. Also, neither of these motherboards will support dual GPU well. Anyways, dual GPU is pretty poorly optimized in most games.
what i mean is i need to add more ram bc even my browser is bringing it up into the 80%'s in task manager

If you need new RAM then get new RAM. Why does that force you to upgrade the motherboard? So what if it’s a cheap board, what does it not do that you want it to do? A 7700 is not going to run materially different even on a good Z270 board due to it being a locked cpu. If you want a material performance boost then it’s new motherboard and CPU. There is only one cpu better than the 7700 that will work in a 100 or 200 series motherboard.

At the end of the day it’s up to you but I see a motherboard upgrade as a waste of money if the aim is to improve performance.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Solution

At the end of the day it’s up to you but I see a motherboard upgrade as a waste of money if the aim is to improve performance.
I think OP wants to upgrade to 4 dimm motherboard to add more ram, but 4 dimm configurations actually perform worse than 2 dimm.

what i mean is i need to add more ram bc even my browser is bringing it up into the 80%'s in task manager
Mixing RAM is not recommended and can cause issues, even if you buy the same make and model. It is best to buy a new kit and sell what you have.

If you are buying new RAM and motherboard it is pointless keeping the same cpu. The 7700 was great in its day but it’s now outperformed by modern i5’s or the Ryzen 3600.

Reactions: extreme_noob

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019

This is what I use. idk if i should upgrade or not..