[SOLVED] Upgrading motherboard

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Hey! I've been thinking about upgrading my motherboard in the next 1-2 years or so since there are so many new games coming out that require a beefy rig. I currently have an A320M-K and a Ryzen 5 3600 which is the max I can upgrade to with this motherboard. Will I need to reinstall windows again after upgrading? I am aware that bios settings will obviously reset. What drivers do I install? Chipset? Audio, etc? Was thinking of upgrading this year but I am currently deciding whether to get a 1660 ti or a 2060.

Best Regards, Nonkii

Solution
Hey! I've been thinking about upgrading my motherboard in the next 1-2 years or so since there are so many new games coming out that require a beefy rig. I currently have an A320M-K and a Ryzen 5 3600 which is the max I can upgrade to with this motherboard. Will I need to reinstall windows again after upgrading? I am aware that bios settings will obviously reset. What drivers do I install? Chipset? Audio, etc? Was thinking of upgrading this year but I am currently deciding whether to get a 1660 ti or a 2060.

Best Regards, Nonkii
Actually, you could probably upgrade all the way to a 3900 or even 3950. I just wouldn't expect it to run very well as things get hot and it pulls back on clocks. You might even be able to put a 5600...

Best Regards, Nonkii
Actually, you could probably upgrade all the way to a 3900 or even 3950. I just wouldn't expect it to run very well as things get hot and it pulls back on clocks. You might even be able to put a 5600 on it, but that's a lot more if-y as it depends on whether the mfr. will release a beta BIOS for it.

After upgrading mobo: It MAY not be necessary but you'd almost certainly be caught in a loop of troubles that you have to fix if you don't do a Windows Fresh Install. If you don't enjoy random problems popping up and chasing down solutions on Google for them then just count on it. It's not that hard with a backup.

Once you move to the new mobo, yes reset CMOS first then do a 'fresh' install of Windows from a USB stick...use the Media Creation Tool to create the install media. You'll install chipset drivers, get them from AMD support web site. I personally use the default Windows audio drivers and default Windows drivers for the onboard LAN as they work well and don't cause me problems. You can install the ones the Mfr provides but download them from the board's support website! Don't use the ones provided on the CD... just go use the CD for a Frisbee right off so you're never tempted.. I also never install any motherboard utilities that come from the mfr. They usually just bug-ridden bloatware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nonkii
Solution

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Actually, you could probably upgrade all the way to a 3900 or even 3950. I just wouldn't expect it to run very well as things get hot and it pulls back on clocks. You might even be able to put a 5600 on it, but that's a lot more if-y as it depends on whether the mfr. will release a beta BIOS for it.

After upgrading mobo: It MAY not be necessary but you'd almost certainly be caught in a loop of troubles that you have to fix if you don't do a Windows Fresh Install. If you don't enjoy random problems popping up and chasing down solutions on Google for them then just count on it. It's not that hard with a backup.

Once you move to the new mobo, yes reset CMOS first then do a 'fresh' install of Windows from a USB stick...use the Media Creation Tool to create the install media. You'll install chipset drivers, get them from AMD support web site. I personally use the default Windows audio drivers and default Windows drivers for the onboard LAN as they work well and don't cause me problems. You can install the ones the Mfr provides but download them from the board's support website! Don't use the ones provided on the CD... just go use the CD for a Frisbee right off so you're never tempted.. I also never install any motherboard utilities that come from the mfr. They usually just bug-ridden bloatware.
I see! I knew that I could upgrade my cpu to something better with the A320M-K. Its just that I don't like my components being hot all the time. Are the chipset drivers needed at all? I download them everytime I do a fresh install of windows every 7 months or so. I never update them after that.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
The AMD chipset drivers are important to get a Ryzen processor to operate as designed. It works without, but you get both proper boosting and energy efficiency only with installation of the chipset drivers.
Sorry for the late response. One more question if you don't mind, but Windows installs an outdated chipset driver or something like that, correct?

Sorry for the late response. One more question if you don't mind, but Windows installs an outdated chipset driver or something like that, correct?
Windows won't install a chipset driver per se. It will just make the system operable with basic capabilities. You'll need to download and install the latest chipset driver from the AMD support website to get full capabilities of the CPU and system. You can get it from the mobo mfr.'s support site but I prefer the AMD support site because you always get the latest there.

Reactions: Nonkii

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Windows won't install a chipset driver per se. It will just make the system operable with basic capabilities. You'll need to download and install the latest chipset driver from the AMD support website to get full capabilities of the CPU and system. You can get it from the mobo mfr.'s support site but I prefer the AMD support site because you always get the latest there.
Alright, thanks! Yea, I always update mines from the AMD website since the ASUS site one is really outdated.