[SOLVED] Upgrading Motherboard

muhrm22

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
Long story short, Christmas is coming and I was looking into SSDs but figured it would be better to upgrade my motherboard first since it's quite old but there's several things I have questions about. Before that here are my specs. Everything with a star next to it is from the original computer.

*Motherboard: MSI X58A-GD65
*CPU: Intel Core i7-950 3.06 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1366
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SSC
PSU: Corsair CX750M
RAM: (2) Kingston HyperX FURY 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM
*Hard Drive: Hitachi 1TB SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB
*CD Drive: Blue Sony 24x DVDRW
*CPU Cooler: Asetek 510LC 120MM Closed-loop Liquid Cooler

Case: Bradley M ATX Mid Tower

In regards to some of my needs, I use my computer mostly for gaming and watching videos, with some downloads of music here and there. There's two 3.0 USB Ports at the front of my computer that I'd like to make better use of since the current MB doesn't allow it. I'd also like to switch over to DDR4 RAM instead of DDR3, though I don't know if DDR4 is standard now. Price range is...unknown. I would need a starting pointing, but anything over 300 would probably be too much, for a motherboard (or motherboard and CPU). I've never dabbled in overclocking and my current motherboard has served me well so I don't need anything too fancy or crazy. I'd like to make my computer run as quietly and fast as possible.

-Would I be able to use my CPU with anything newer? Is it worth buying a new CPU with a new MB, especially considering the age of the thing?
-Would I have to change out any of my current parts if I bought a new MB? Perhaps the cooling system?
-Any personal recommendations for motherboards and CPUs? While I'm at it, SSDs?
-What is the process like switching out motherboards in regards to the OS and drivers? Is it as simple as booting from the disk?

That's all I can think of, thanks for the help.

Solution
What country are you in? Because right now, in the US at least, the Ryzen 3600 just jumped in price because I assume so many are buying them for Christmas builds. IDK really. Two days ago they were like less than two hundred, today they are approaching 240 dollars.

But yes, at the right price, a Ryzen 3600 or 3600x, a Tomahawk B450 Max and 16GB of G.Skill 3200-3600mhz memory is pretty much the sweet spot for a worthwhile upgrade.
No, you won't be able to use your CPU with anything newer.

If you want a newer CPU you will need a newer motherboard and newer memory. The same applies if you want a newer motherboard, you would need a newer CPU and newer memory. CPUs and motherboards generally only support each other within a few generations or in some cases only if they are the EXACT same generation. Current Ryzen platforms have been MOSTLY forwards and backwards compatible for the last several years, with a couple of exceptions, but that too will be ending as of this generation. The next generation of AMD Ryzen CPUs will require a new motherboard and chipset.

Intel hasn't supported newer CPUs on the same motherboard chipset past ~2 years for a long time now. In fact, I can't really remember the last time an Intel motherboard supported more than two generations. Considering your CPU is 1st Generation Core-i and we are currently on 10th generation Core-i, you can see that your i7-950 is a long way out on support. The last chipset that could support your CPU was released in about 2009-2010.

New system will mean new motherboard, CPU and memory, at the very least.

If your CX750m is more than three years old, I'd plan on changing that out for something newer as well. If it's a green lettering label CX750m, I'd change it out even if you didn't change a single other thing, because it's a death sentence for the rest of your hardware waiting to happen. We've seen it more than our share of times.

muhrm22

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
I had a feeling that was the case. Most of the original components of my computer were bought around ten or more years ago. Any brands I should avoid regarding MBs, CPUs and RAM?

The PSU I bought either this year or last year and that was more of an emergency purchase since my original started malfunctioning. Are green labels poor quality then? I remember reading about Bronze, Silver and Gold ratings for PSUs but unfortunately it was an emergency purchase.

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
If you want to keep the current system and upgrade on the cheap, I'd swap out to a SSD boot drive and get 16gb (4x4gb) of RAM. Used examples are relatively cheap on ebay. The SSD can be transferred to any new system and DDR3 RAM is downright cheap now.

Unfortunately, ROI on a 10 year old system is near non-existent at this point.

muhrm22

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
Ok, so after looking around for a bit I think I found the set that I'd like to use though I'm not 100% sure on it. For the CPU an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and for the MB a B450 TOMAHAWK MAX. Are there better alternatives for around the same price? I plan on buying new RAM at some point anyway so I don't plan on installing the MB and CPU right away. I'll probably wind up replacing everything else too but having the CPU and MB locked down will make it easier to look for components.

What country are you in? Because right now, in the US at least, the Ryzen 3600 just jumped in price because I assume so many are buying them for Christmas builds. IDK really. Two days ago they were like less than two hundred, today they are approaching 240 dollars.

But yes, at the right price, a Ryzen 3600 or 3600x, a Tomahawk B450 Max and 16GB of G.Skill 3200-3600mhz memory is pretty much the sweet spot for a worthwhile upgrade.

Solution