[SOLVED] Upgrading my 2012 PC - Where to start?

Feb 8, 2019
CPU: i5 3570k / H100i Cooler
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D3H
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz (4x4GB)

So here's the core of my build from 2012, when I made good use of my first student loan at Uni. The motherboards a weird one as it got swapped out after the first one broke.

My dilemma is I don't know the best value way of upgrading this. The main issue being that I'm all set-up for overclocking but the motherboard just cant do it.

This build would primarily be used for up to 4K video editing through Premier Pro, but with gaming in mind also. So I could look at getting a better MoBo that would actually allow me to overclock, but the CPU is so old that I'm not sure it's worth getting a Mobo that will overclock it, or just get a new CPU and mobo.

I'm not immediately concerned about the GPU, as I don't believe upgrading that will have much of an effect on video editing (I could be wrong but just having any GPU will help, which GPU that is matters less) and gaming isn't a 'priority' - a smooth running PC is!
16GB RAM is typically sufficent for 4K Vid editing on Premiere pro, and I'm not sure how much difference higher clock speeds would make.

One thing I forgot to mention was storage, I'm currently running solely on 2 HDD (C: 500GB & E: 1TB) and no SSD - so buying a small SSD for OS and software such as Premiere Pro would also be an option.

So yeah, I'll leave that there as that was more of an essay than anticipated. Any views would be greatly appreciated, the aim is to get a much smoother experience for as little expenditure as possible, but within reason.

TL;DR Should I buy a new MoBo so i can OC my old 3rd Gen CPU for a 'cheap' performance upgrade. Or does it make more sense to wait for the money and upgrade to CPU and MoBo to something newer?

Solution
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wWkCtg Here is a Ryzen 5 2600, B450 overclocking mobo, 8gb 3000mhz ram, and a 240gb Kingston sa400 SSD. I have the same SSD for my steam library. Its a great entry level SSD.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-shale-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602 Heres a good laptop. I got this for $699 on black Friday for a relative and it performs really well. It has a 4core/8 thread I5 that turbos to 4ghz, a 1050 ti 4gb gpu, 256gb intel SSD, 1080p IPS screen, and 8gb ram.
That platform is a dead end. I would save up and buy a newer i5 8400 or ryyzen 5 2600 system. This would require new cpu, ram, and motherboard. You would also have to factor in a gpu upgrade. How much do you have to spend on a platform upgrade? Are you tied to intel? Ryzen 2600 and rx 580 8gbb offers good value right now.

Feb 8, 2019

Thanks for a quick reply!
Yeah to be honest I could have just looked at Amazon quickly and got my answer, as I have just done. Oops.
Nothing going for that processor so upgrading the motherboard is barely even an option.
I've opened up to the idea of AMD to be honest, I'm not fussed, if it can give me better value.

Wasn't aware the RAM and GPU would have to be upgraded, I've been out of the game too long!
This whiny case and fans will need swapping too... I guess I have a fresh build on my hands excluding cooler and hopefully CPU should be fine.

To be honest there is no budget, was hoping I could just spare £50-£100 on a Mobo one month and get a nice performance boost from overclocking. I may even just look at getting a good laptop at this point then!

Your old GPU would work but a newer one would perform much better. The 770 would work for now if you can upgrade. Any new Ryzen or Intel cpu (6th gen and up) require expensive ddr4 ram rather than the ddr3 you have. You could get a new mobo but it wouldn't be worth it for the 5-8% more performance from an OC.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wWkCtg Here is a Ryzen 5 2600, B450 overclocking mobo, 8gb 3000mhz ram, and a 240gb Kingston sa400 SSD. I have the same SSD for my steam library. Its a great entry level SSD.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-shale-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602 Heres a good laptop. I got this for $699 on black Friday for a relative and it performs really well. It has a 4core/8 thread I5 that turbos to 4ghz, a 1050 ti 4gb gpu, 256gb intel SSD, 1080p IPS screen, and 8gb ram.

Solution
Feb 8, 2019

Those upgrades look like the answer, less than £300 for what I'm sure would be a big improvement for my PC!
I can then add to the RAM and upgrade GPU later.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me!

TRENDING THREADS