Build Advice Upgrading my actual setup ( Bottleneck? )

DeYReX

Reputable
Apr 14, 2016
First of all THANK YOU for helping me :D
These are my specs:
IntelCore i5 4460
Gigabyte H97-HD3
RAM: 8 GB Kingston Hyperx Supreme DDR3
SSD : Samsung EVO 250GB
HDD : WD BLUE 2TB
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB MSI
Tacens Mars Gaming 700W

So first of all i use to play a lot of games like GTA and Dayz Assetto etc and i stream a lot and all of that world of youtube and twitch you know.
Now i wanted to buy another 8gb RAM because i think i need more RAM, Also I thinked on OC the GPU with MSI Afterburner.
I have like 500€ and i thinked what if i buy and i7 and ddr4 and that will help me a lot. But will my 970 bottleneck my setup?
I was thinking in a i7 7700k or 8700 or 8700k and 16gb ddr4.

The question is i buy another 8gb ram or i buy a new MB RAM AND an INTEL?
What is the best solution to have a better pc for streamings?
If i buy another 8gb .... I will save more money por a better pc so i can buy all of that and a 2070 or something like that.
Thank you a lot GUYS :D

since you're streaming, forget the 8gb upgrade and just go for the new i7 + mobo and 16gb DDR4, and just live with the 970 until you can get the 2070.

I did exactly the same thing with my i5-2500k w/ 8gb and an R9 390, the quad wasn't cutting it any longer with multitasking and upgraded to a Ryzen 2600x / b450 / 16Gb and was much, much better with the 390 in just about every demanding game like Arma3, Just Cause 3, etc. Sounds like it's a similar situation for you now.

DeYReX

Reputable
Apr 14, 2016
since you're streaming, forget the 8gb upgrade and just go for the new i7 + mobo and 16gb DDR4, and just live with the 970 until you can get the 2070.

I did exactly the same thing with my i5-2500k w/ 8gb and an R9 390, the quad wasn't cutting it any longer with multitasking and upgraded to a Ryzen 2600x / b450 / 16Gb and was much, much better with the 390 in just about every demanding game like Arma3, Just Cause 3, etc. Sounds like it's a similar situation for you now.
The new i7 you say like or 8700 or 8700k RIGHT? Yeah i think is the best option because 60€ for 8gb ddr3 is a bit... meh and will not really help me
The 970 will bottleneck a bit but it will be much better and i can overclock a bit the GPU.
Thank you a lot :D I never had Ryzen...maybe i need to look to them... always bought intel but maybe ryzen is good too and now 400€

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gtx970 is fine for 1080p, it runs a bit better than a 1060 3Gb and not as good as a 1060 6Gb. So it'll handle most games adequately on high/ultra.

With streaming, the quad core is killing you. Apart from its (now) mediocre IPC, it's getting maxed out and swamped by games like GTA:V that demand a minimum of 4 threads, but are much happier with upto 8 or more with streaming.

I7-8700k or Ryzen 1600 or better will make a world of difference. Fps limits are set by the cpu, it can only pre-render so many frames in a second. It's upto the gpu to live upto that limit according to details and resolution. Right now, if you get 100fps in a game, the gpu is probably capable of 150fps, but you only get 100, so changing from medium to ultra settings you get the same fps. With the new chipsets, they might be capable of 200fps (same game) but at 150fps in ultra, you'd need to drop to high, but then you'd be seeing 200fps instead. So it's a tradeoff when upgrading cpu, and very game dependant on just how much you'll gain.

DeYReX

Reputable
Apr 14, 2016
Gtx970 is fine for 1080p, it runs a bit better than a 1060 3Gb and not as good as a 1060 6Gb. So it'll handle most games adequately on high/ultra.

With streaming, the quad core is killing you. Apart from its (now) mediocre IPC, it's getting maxed out and swamped by games like GTA:V that demand a minimum of 4 threads, but are much happier with upto 8 or more with streaming.

I7-8700k or Ryzen 1600 or better will make a world of difference. Fps limits are set by the cpu, it can only pre-render so many frames in a second. It's upto the gpu to live upto that limit according to details and resolution. Right now, if you get 100fps in a game, the gpu is probably capable of 150fps, but you only get 100, so changing from medium to ultra settings you get the same fps. With the new chipsets, they might be capable of 200fps (same game) but at 150fps in ultra, you'd need to drop to high, but then you'd be seeing 200fps instead. So it's a tradeoff when upgrading cpu, and very game dependant on just how much you'll gain.
Yeah i was thinking on that... the 4 core and 8gb ram are killing me and the pc is overcharging all time. Thank you for you help i really apreciate it. I will upgrade then to a 8700k and a medium MB and some ddr4 16gb. The 970 will bottleneck a bit but i think it will be much better than now and i will save for a good 2060 or 2070.
Thank you very much.
Also can you recomand me a good MB for a 8700k? But also a bit cheap because i have like 500€ and the i7 is like 370 hahah. Thanks

DeYReX

Reputable
Apr 14, 2016

Also i was looking and what is my best option?
I saw that the 9700k is at the same price as the 8700k. Is better the 9700k right?
I also thinked in overclocking the gpu with the new setup... What do you think?