Upgrading my Asus Notebook (New, SDD/Ram/Wireless Card)

Mukflash

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
hello,

thanks for taking time to read my thread. I have a couple of questions.

I have an Asus Notebook (X401A) - and I am doing a few upgrades, as i am a light comuter user, and figured there is no point in getting rid of this to get another one which is similar in the £400 range, when I can spend £100 on upgrading.

I plan on getting a 500gb, 7200rbm HDD (currenly 320gb, 5400) - and going from 4gb to 8gb RAM.

My main question is, how to install windows from scratch on a new HDD, on a notebook with no CD drive. If i get a usb disc drive, will it run a disc from the BIOS start up, or do you usually need to install software for the drive to be recognized in the first place because its external.

Also, this notebook seems to only be compatible with 2.4GHZ internet, as when I go into advanced options in Network Adaptors, its the only one shown.. My main hub router is dual (2.4ghz & 5ghz) as I have 4 other devices in the house running 5g currently. Is it possible to buy a 5GHZ Wireless dongle, and plug that in and it to the notebook then 5G works? If not, should I buy another wireless card?

Thanks

G

Hello

The only problem that you may face is that BIOS won't boot from USB because It won't be bootable. In order to make it bootable I reccomend using Rufus or you can do it from CMD. If you do it from CMD then you will need another software for burning it. But If you don't own a disc with Windows 7 then you can borrow one from a friend or you can download a copy from the internet but it will be activated for only 30 days.

As for your second question. If you want to upgrade your router to 5GHz then you have to also upgrade your Network card because it won't be able to run on full speed. It will be compatible but It will run on the speed that it can handle.

Mukflash

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
I have a windows 7 disc so that isnt an issue, and could easily obtain it on usb.

how would i be able to do it from CMD when i will have no operating system on a blank HDD?

I looked online for rufus tutorial, cant really find anything for my situation.

G

You can use the CMD of another computer that has OS installed.

What do you excactly want to do and Rufus can't help you?