[SOLVED] Upgrading my brother's Dell PC

Jul 1, 2020
Hey guys, I am upgrading my brothers Dell pc. Now, We are getting a new psu and monitor. A GTX 1650 Super and A thermaltake 850 psu gold. Now, I am getting a 8 to 24 pin adapter for the psu to hook it up to a dell custom motherboard. Now I am wondering if this pc will run well. It has an i5 9400 processor and 8gb of ram. Here is a picture of the pc. And I am wondering if the psu and graphics card will fit.

Solution
And is Newegg a legit site? Because they have some nice prices.
Very much so. I have been purchasing parts from them since 2004.

I have never purchased parts from 3rd party vendors on Newegg, though, ONLY where the seller is listed as Newegg.

And what is the difference between gtx 1660, 1650 super, and 1660 super?
Performance, and power consumption.
From lowest to highest performance: 1650 Super, 1660, 1660 Super.

Power consumption is about 100W max for the 1650 Super, about 125-130W max for the 1660 and 1660 Super.

It does look like the Dell you have uses a nonstandard power supply form factor. Do you still have the power supply? If so, please check the label on it. According to this thread on the Dell...
No Picture was posted.

Also a 850 watt PSU is absolute overkill. A Corsair CX550 or CX550M (if you can find them in stock) would be more then enough for a system like that.

The 1650 Super is a good card if you plan on 60 FPS 1080P gaming but thats all its really capable of, if you want more then that you will need to step up to the 1660 Super or RX 5600XT

Jul 1, 2020
But the dell motherboard has no 24 pin like a regular gaming motherboard. It uses an 8 pin instead of 24. So I got on adapter that connects to the psu and goes in to the dell motherboard. a regular connector wont do that. The original psu has no gpu cable.

But the dell motherboard has no 24 pin like a regular gaming motherboard. It uses an 8 pin instead of 24. So I got on adapter that connects to the psu and goes in to the dell motherboard. a regular connector wont do that. The original psu has no gpu cable.

PSU are not standardized on their plugs on the PSU itself. They vary from manufacturer as well as model. All the 24pin to 8 pin adapters Ive seen plug directly into the mobo end of the 24 pin adapter.

Reactions: King_V

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
You should check your dimensions before you get this new power supply
6158EzHX2HL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

That psu kinda looks like something maybe funky?
An SSD and 16gb of memory would make for a good upgrade too. Check the boards specs to see if it can use 16gb's

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
And is Newegg a legit site? Because they have some nice prices.
Very much so. I have been purchasing parts from them since 2004.

I have never purchased parts from 3rd party vendors on Newegg, though, ONLY where the seller is listed as Newegg.

And what is the difference between gtx 1660, 1650 super, and 1660 super?
Performance, and power consumption.
From lowest to highest performance: 1650 Super, 1660, 1660 Super.

Power consumption is about 100W max for the 1650 Super, about 125-130W max for the 1660 and 1660 Super.

It does look like the Dell you have uses a nonstandard power supply form factor. Do you still have the power supply? If so, please check the label on it. According to this thread on the Dell forums, it came with either a 290W PSU, or an optional 365W PSU. It also mentions in that thread using a standard PSU, but that such a PSU would need to be external to the case I think.

Here's what the sticker looks like for the 365W unit:

7926i0365A9F6D77D130E

Even with a 130W video card, I'd say you're pretty safe if your Dell came with the 365W PSU.

With the 290W, I'd probably want to see what the specifications sticker on the PSU looks like, but it should still be able to manage the video cards you mention.... if and ONLY IF it has the PCIe power connector your GPU will need. I think any of those video cards should only need a 6-pin, but I can't be certain.

Solution
The 365W PSU will have a 6 pin PCIe cable, and the 290W won't. Up to 150W GPU should be just fine. With a 6 to 8 pin adapter even a GTX 1070 150W should work. The Dell PSU is a quality part. I would use it if you can.
if you need to buy a 365W shop by the Dell part# 07KV45, or 7KV45
FWIW If you add up the 3-12V. rails for 43A. and multiply by 12V. you get 516W.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 365W PSU will have a 6 pin PCIe cable, and the 290W won't. Up to 150W GPU should be just fine.
Agreed.

With a 6 to 8 pin adapter even a GTX 1070 150W should work.
I would strongly recommend against using such an adapter.

FWIW If you add up the 3-12V. rails for 43A. and multiply by 12V. you get 516W.
True, but it does specifically state "365W max output" - still a decent amount of headroom, though.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The MB provides 75W, and the 6 pin PCIe provides 75W. So a 150W GPU is in spec. The 8 pin adapter "should" be able to provide a full 150W in addition to the 75W MB header to run a 225W GPU, and that's where you would get into trouble with the adapter. The 8 pin actually provides 2 more ground cables. The power leads are the same.
The power rating of Dell PSUs often as not has a smuch to do with the cables provided as their actual power.
290W + 75W PCIe cable = 365W.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The MB provides 75W, and the 6 pin PCIe provides 75W. So a 150W GPU is in spec.

That is irrelevant. First, most cards are now trying to avoid maxing out the available power from the PCIe slot.

Secondly, and far more important, if the card maker put an 8-pin connector on the card, then the card is expecting to be able to draw MORE than 75 watts from that connector. If they were not going to draw more than 75W, they would've stuck with only a 6-pin connector.

Do NOT use a single-6-pin-to-single-8-pin adapter. It is dangerous.

Reactions: Joseph57
The Dell multi rail PSU is UL rated, and will safely shut down a rail if tyou manage to overload it. What would be dangerous is to use the adapter on a cheap single rail aftermarket unit that can send all 400W down that cable.
Here is the label of a Dell 2 rail 290W PSU.
https://www.refreshedelectronics.co...therboard-290W-Power-Supply-WHN49-66W87-3.jpg
The 365W shown above added an 11Amp 12V. rail = 132W to power the 75W, 6 pin PCIe.
Here's Johnnyguru trying to blow up very old 305W Delta OEM PSU.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2007/09/14/the-bargain-basement-power-supply-roundup/
Here's one in decent shape doing pretty much what the label says it can do.
https://www.hardwareinsights.com/dell-h305p-01-power-supply-review/
The Dell PSU is probably better than a budget aftermarket part. I wouldn't replace unless it was causing a problem.
I would certainly consider a Dell 365W if you have the 290W. Whether you try an adapter or not is up to you.