Upgrading my computer, help needed!

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I currently own a 1.1Ghz athlon system, with 512 PC-133 Ram and a Ge-Force 2GTS. I want to upgrade soon and I plan to get a Athlon XP 2100+ with 256mb PC-2700 ram a Ge-Force 4 Ti4600 and a soltek SL-75DRV5 mboard. I'm keeping my old 20gig 7200rpm hard drive, my 52x Cd rom drive and my soundblaster live player soundcard.

Will this setup be good for gaming? Would it be worth the extra money getting 512mb ram insstead of 256? Would a P4 system be better (bearing in mind that I am trying to keep this system as cheap as I can)? Are AMD planning to drop CPU prices any time soon?
I will be playing games on this computer mostly and any input you could give me as to the how I could best spend my money would be greatly appreciated.

Why use windows when you can use doors?

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
That setup sounds great. I haven't heard any news about CPU prices dropping, though.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

svol

Champion
Are you planning to OC this system, because you have PC2700 memory, or do you want to have memory for in the future? If you don't plan to OC you only need PC2100 memory.
A P4 system will probably not peform better and will cost more.
This setup would be good for gaming, if you plan to use WinXP you might want to consider more then 256MB RAM.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I want to get the best performance possible out of the system, PC2700 RAM is not that much more expensive than PC2100 so I thought it would be best to go for 2700. Is it worth it for the extra 66Mhz?

I'm not sure bout overclocking, I would like to but I dont think I would want to risk overclocking a system that has cost me £800+ to build. Also I have absolutly no experiance overclocking, you know any good sites that give you a beginners guide? How much and where can I get a watercooler for my system (bearing in mind I live in the UK)?

I'm not sure what OS to use, I'm currently using windows ME and I havnt had an problems I couldnt sort out, is win XP really that much better?

Why use windows when you can use doors?

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
There isn't much of a performance difference between pc2700 and pc2100 unless you plan to overclock. Like svol said, overclock/future upgrade = pc2700, or just us pc2100.

Win Xp is a way much better os than WinMe, but if you are comfortable win WinMe that i guess you can stick to it or else go for Xp or 2k or 98se.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
256 would be ok, but I am guessing you will be using XP as an OS so I would go with 512 if you can afford it. You will notice a difference.

If you can find it on the internet, it HAS to be true! :smile: