[SOLVED] Upgrading my CPU and GPU on same MoBo and Power supply

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
Would like someone to let me know if these 3 upgrades seem reasonable on my 5 year old PC. Mostly concerned about MoBo compatibility and If the PSU is enough.

Original:
  1. GTX 960 2GB
  2. I5 4440
  3. 8 gb ram
  4. 500 Gb hdd+ 2 TB external
  5. Asus h81 M-C MoBo
  6. thermal take v3 black
  7. thermal take smart se 630 watt series
upgrade to:
  1. GPU: AMD RX 590
  2. CPU:Ryzen 5 1600x
  3. Ram: 16 GB
All other component stay the same.
Power consumption: (I found the difference in power between old and new components to be 95 watt)
Does the other components (MoBo and powersupply..) withstand the upgrade? Or should I upgrade them aslo
Thanks in advance.:)

Last edited:
Solution
Without replacing the system, really the best thing you can do is upgrade the video card, get a solid state drive and a better quality power supply. Then in a bit you can move those into a full new platform. The CPU is in better shape for gaming than your 960 video card is.

Make sure you check to the latest BIOS for your system. The power supply change is not "needed" but since it powers everything and everything depends on it being solid it's a good idea. There are not many under $80 or so power supply to recommend though, maybe the newer CXM models from Corsair.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
No the 1600X wil not work an an Intel motherboard. And furthermore does a compatibel motherboard with the 1600X use ddr4 ram,not the ddr3 you are using now.

Biggest upgrade you probably can make is probably an i7 4770(K).

The psu if working fine should be able to power the new components,but isn't something highly regarded for quality reasons so afer 5 years might it be good to upgrade that too.

Since wanting to upgrade and if having the budget would it be good to start with a full new platform based on the AM4 socket. If you can get it look at the Ryzen 1600AF. For budget reasons. When shops sell it they probably will mention the AF with it.

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
No the 1600X wil not work an an Intel motherboard. And furthermore does a compatibel motherboard with the 1600X use ddr4 ram,not the ddr3 you are using now.

Biggest upgrade you probably can make is probably an i7 4770(K).

The psu if working fine should be able to power the new components,but isn't something highly regarded for quality reasons so afer 5 years might it be good to upgrade that too.

Since wanting to upgrade and if having the budget would it be good to start with a full new platform based on the AM4 socket. If you can get it look at the Ryzen 1600AF. For budget reasons. When shops sell it they probably will mention the AF with it.
Is the Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H 1.1 DDR4 AMD-Ryzen-AM4 good enough, I don't want to overclock. Can it hold ddr3 RAM, if not is there a MOBO compatible with ryzen 5 1600x and ddr3/ddr4 RAM. I am relaly on a tight budget and dont want to waste my 8GB ddr3 RAM.
Also is there a risk that my PSU will harm my new components.
Thanks in advance

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is the Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H 1.1 DDR4 AMD-Ryzen-AM4 good enough
It's a cheap, barebones motherboard. 'Good enough', I suppose.

Can it hold ddr3 RAM, if not is there a MOBO compatible with ryzen 5 1600x and ddr3/ddr4 RAM. I am relaly on a tight budget and dont want to waste my 8GB ddr3 RAM.
Nope. The AM4 platform is DDR4 only.
Every Intel cpu above 4xxx series runs DDR4 as well.

Also is there a risk that my PSU will harm my new components.
Yes, there is:
"One thing to note is that neither the box nor the official product page - which no longer exists, mind you - highlights anything about safety measures like overload protection and circuit protection."
So whenever it does kick the bucket, your precious hardware will be at it's mercy...

Without replacing the system, really the best thing you can do is upgrade the video card, get a solid state drive and a better quality power supply. Then in a bit you can move those into a full new platform. The CPU is in better shape for gaming than your 960 video card is.

Make sure you check to the latest BIOS for your system. The power supply change is not "needed" but since it powers everything and everything depends on it being solid it's a good idea. There are not many under $80 or so power supply to recommend though, maybe the newer CXM models from Corsair.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Agree with both of the above posts.

It won't do you any good to go out and get another cheap psu and possibly screw yourself later on.
Too many times people want to upgrade or build their PCs for gaming, and neglect what is the most important part of the build - not the cpu, nor the gpu. Those should play 2nd fiddle to the psu.

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015

Thanks for your response guys.
I'm stuck right now, I live in Lebanon where we are facing currency devaluation (60% and going) while at the same time PC parts are increasing due to "corona virus" and the capital control by banks. I have 2 options the first is to go with full build (850$) to avoid more loss cuz I must get a new PC sooner or later. https://imageshack.com/i/pouPWRHWp (as u can see the prices are 30% higher plus 11 % vat)
The second is to only upgrade my gpu to a USED 1060 6 gb and ram to 16 gb hoping that things will get better in 1-2 years.

Can anyone give me his opinion,
regards

Last edited: