Upgrading my CPU costs don't make sense

Surege

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Why does the Intel Core i7-3770K Cost more than the Intel - Core i7-8700K? Cause i wanna upgrade my CPU to the 8700k but like I'm new to this and it doesn't make sense why the one I'm upgrading to would cost less than the one I have now.

Yes I'm getting a new Mobo that will fit the 8700k but it still does not make sense to me as to why it would cost less than the much older CPU. Thanks

Solution
If you mean why the 8700K costs less than what you paid for your 3770K when it was new? Because technology has advanced, AND Intel can no longer price things the way they used to when AMD wasn't as competitive.

Why the 8700K costs less now than to get a 3770K now? Because the only ones out there are used, or new ones that someone's holding on to, and they know anyone who really wants to buy one now is trying to maximize what they have on an outdated platform, and thus charging more for a 3770K than a new 8700K, but less than an 8700K + mobo + RAM. Limited but captive target audience.
The 3770k stopped production years ago. Retailers still have some sitting on their shelves though.
They could sell them for their reasonable price (like the used ones on ebay), or they can hold onto them (which costs them nothing) and demand unrealistic prices. Someone will come along some day and buy them at that price.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you mean why the 8700K costs less than what you paid for your 3770K when it was new? Because technology has advanced, AND Intel can no longer price things the way they used to when AMD wasn't as competitive.

Why the 8700K costs less now than to get a 3770K now? Because the only ones out there are used, or new ones that someone's holding on to, and they know anyone who really wants to buy one now is trying to maximize what they have on an outdated platform, and thus charging more for a 3770K than a new 8700K, but less than an 8700K + mobo + RAM. Limited but captive target audience.

Solution