Upgrading my cpu fan

boddyfox000

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
I bought a used computer yesterday.
The problem is that in gta 5 the fps is average 120 on lowest but sometimes it goes down at like 20 fps for 2-4 sec.
After some research i had seen that the cpu temperature was 45-55 when idle and 71-83 when gaming
I did took a look at the cpu fan and i think that its a cheap deepcool model, the heatsink material its plastic and this is very weird.
My question is will a budget decent cooler fit in my motherboard?
And whats a good model if so?
The cpu is a power hungry i7 4790k
I dont know the cpu cooler model
But with that said the computer that i did bought was a pretty good deal at 600 euros for a i7 4790k gtx 760 8 ram 120 ssd + 1tb hard
l0Y0LCA

Those load temps are well within normal range of a 4th generation Intel Core i5/i7 under load with a basic aftermarket cooler. Idle temps are a about 10C warmer than normal but not a deal breaker. Your weak link is that GTX 760. By today's standards that is a very low end GPU. Upgrade the GPU and you'll be fine. The 8GB memory isn't an issue for older games like GTA V however. Only the newest AAA games like Far Cry 5 "recommend" 16GB memory.

And here in the US that's about $700 USD so based on specs, it wouldn't be a good deal here, especially with that GPU. However, depending on what you have available in your EU nation prices can fluctuate wildly. I'm in the greater Atlanta Georgia region and we have no less than ten pages worth of gaming PCs people are selling on Craig's List of all ages and power levels. In smaller towns, people ask more as there is fewer competition.

boddyfox000

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018

Well,is as i said is not because of the game itself but is because of the cpu throttling.
And it happens in almost every game.
The frequency is 4.40 then it does drop to 0.70

It is not temps causing your CPU throttling. Run a CPU/GPU stress test with Afterburner running in the background to log performance and temps and see what percentage of CPU and GPU are being used. I'd recommend running Unigine's Heaven benchmark.

ron2456

Distinguished
I see thats the DEEPCOOL GAMAXX 300 cooler. I have the same cooler and itsa very capable one. The heatsink is aluminium fins with 3x copper direct contact heatpipe. This is one of the best budget coolers out there. I get 34C on idle and less than 60C on load. Did you apply thermal paste upon installing the cooler or did it come preapplied? If it did then buy some thermal paste and re-apply the cooler.

boddyfox000

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
I did benchmarked on Unigine extreme and got gpu temp max 80 usage 99-100 % cpu temp max 74 usage 5-25 % fps average 27 but there was no weird drop in freq because from what i see this is not a cpu intensive benchmark

boddyfox000

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018

Im running 1980x1080
I tried occt and got cpu over maximum value value reached 90
Max value 85
in typical scenarios like playing a game or something like that i never got more than 85 degrees,i dont really understand those cpu benchmarks