Question upgrading my cpu (is this a mistake?)

pillowdo

Prominent
Jan 28, 2019
CPU: intel Pentium g4400
GPU: NVIDA 1050
MB: G1-gaming H110M-GAMING 3 (Micro-atx)
Storage:
SSD: 110 GB
HDD: 4 TB
RAM: 8 GB
Monitor: (2x) 23 inch LED

so this was the first PC that I've ever built and it's been over a 1 year now.
the only issue I've been having is with the CPU, it can't keep up and I knew it wouldn't but the budget didn't allow any other CPU
considering I keep: (Discord, Spotify, League of Legends, watching a twitch stream, Whatsapp (pc version) and finally Wallpaper Engine) it's a miracle my Pentium isn't coughing blood by now but it's definitely not keeping it up
long story short, I feel like changing the CPU into a i7 9700k, having 8 cores should be more than enough for my usage!
I've heard the term "bottleneck" but it shouldn't really apply here considering my GPU is doing just fine with what I use it for.
so what I'm doing fine? I always feel like asking an expert before making a move just to be safe!

EDIT: also, I made sure my 430w is enough incase I do add the new CPU

Ralston18

Titan
Go further with respect to the performance (i.e., "not keeping up") issue.

Goal being to quantify or otherwise specifically identify the performance problem.

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, Performance Manager, etc. to observe your system's performance.

First while not gaming and then while gaming with different games.

Discover what all is running; especially background apps being launched at startup.

Look for bottlenecks - some very high % or use. That high % could be due to old or buggy software. May be a driver issue.

The more you can discover the more likely you be able to implement an applicable fix or solution.

The G4400 is certainly not what most consider adequate for most games today, much less gaming and simultaneous streaming. If you could find a reasonably priced i7-7700/7700K (need BIOS update first!) that would be an improvement, but, even then, a 4c/8t CPU drops some frames when gaming and streaming....and those two CPUs are the 'end of the road' for your current socket/mainboard, so are commanding partially inflated prices because of it...with the 7700K at ~$370

I'd cut your losses on the current socket rather than pay inflated 7700/7700K prices, and plan a new rig entirely.... (R5-2600X/B450 combo is quite popular these days, or, Ryzen 3000 series CPUs are rumored to be out by July if you can wait; the R5-1600 is on sale for as low as $79 at some locations occasionally; Z390/i7-9700K rigs are popular for gamers as well..)

Reactions: pillowdo