Question Upgrading my cpu, will it work with old mobo?

Nov 3, 2021
Okay so currently i have a 2200g with a asrock a320m dvs r3.0.

I want to buy a r5 5500, i have seen that i can run that cpu on my mobo if i update the bios. The motherboard only has a 4 pin cpu power connector, is that enough for a 5500?

also its an old budget board with no vrm cooling. I am not planning on overclocking, my pc has 3 good fans and good airflow. Do i need to buy a new motherboard or will this work fine?

thanks

Nov 3, 2021
You will need BIOS version P7.10 before you can drop in the Ryzen 5 5500 onto that socket. What BISO version are you on at the time of writing? Make and model of your case and the airflow orientation in said case? I'd advise on getting a B550 chipset as opposed to repurposing the A320 chipset.
currently on an old bios, but i know how to update it, have done it before. If possible i would like to keep this motherboard, i am on a budget. What would be the downsides to not getting a new motherboard?
Case is a 5 year old sharkoon case, doesn't look that modern but thats because there is vents and openings for airflow

currently on an old bios, but i know how to update it, have done it before. If possible i would like to keep this motherboard, i am on a budget. What would be the downsides to not getting a new motherboard?
Case is a 5 year old sharkoon case, doesn't look that modern but thats because there is vents and openings for airflow
Downside, no OC, Limited RAM speed. That processor doesn't have IGPU like 2200G has so you need a discrete graphic card.

TRENDING THREADS