[SOLVED] Upgrading my current build

Nov 1, 2020
Hey!

I've been thinking a lot about upgrading my current build, but I don't really know what to focus on, and which pieces to replace.
My dad used to be an enthusiast when it came to PC's, and I believe he put this PC together for me a couple of years ago.
I play Fortnite competitively, and I want the lowest input delay possible.

Pieces i consider replacing:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X (OC'd to 4.4ghz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 (dual)
Motherboard: ASrock X99 OC Formula

I know that this CPU is still quite expensive, and I don't know if there are better options for my preferabilities.
I'm willing to put in another $300-400, as well as the money I eventually would have gotten from selling my current specs.
What do you guys think would be the best choice? Thanks a lot in advance. Please consider asking if you have questions regarding other specs.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

gsync or gsync compatable monitor would be what I would invest in. Others will chime in.

Good mouse pad, 3m makes a good one for $5 that will help boost accuracy and sensitivity. Others may make better ones, I’ve never tried.

Go to the store and pick a mouse that fits your hand if you do t already own a mouse that feels comfortable. Ergonomics and comfort goes a long way.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Yeah the human body is the limitation for a lot of things. I would personally stick with the 144hz monitor than.

I own a similar monitor and for ME, once it hits somewhere in the 70-80fps range things look smooth and I don’t benefit from anything higher.

From a technical perspective when I looked into monitors I saw negligible difference between the 144 and higher refresh rates.

Nov 1, 2020
When you say GTX980(dual) do you mean two cards in sli?
Dual gpu shows well in synthetic benchmarks, but not in actual gameplay.
If so, consider going to a single strong card. dual gpu has issues.
You might find this older article interesting from the input latency point of view:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13
Very knowledgeable article!
And yes, by dual, I meant SLI. What card would you personally recommend? I've been looking for a while, but I really can't decide on what's the better option for my needs.
Thank you!

I don't know that now is a great time to buy a graphics card.
If you can snag one, the 3070 would be good.
It may be that one of the new amd 6000 series will live up to the hype.
Whatever you do, make it a sizeable jump or you may be disappointed.
I have seen GTX1080ti units selling for $300-$400 on ebay.

TRENDING THREADS