Question Upgrading my current CPU

D

Deleted member 1403140

Hi guys, I haven't upgraded much in my PC for a good while now and I'm noticing it starting to run some newer games poorly, i think (if i'm right) that my CPU is the bottleneck, however i am not sure how to proceed in terms of upgrading.
I'm not sure if i need to upgrade my motherboard and ram as well if i want to get a good/modern CPU, any help would be much appreciated.

Here are my current specs:

CPU - Core i5-4670k @ 4.2ghz
GPU - gtx 1070 8gb
Motherboard - gigabyte Z87-HD3
RAM - 16gb DDR3 1866 mhz
PSU - Corsair CX600M
Storage - 250gb ssd and 1Tb HDD

I think you are now nicely balanced between cpu and gpu.
To see if a stronger processor might help, try this back handed test:
Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 80%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 20% improvement in core speed might do.

If you need a processor upgrade, a current gen intel or ryzen is what you should be looking at.
That will involve not only the processor, but a new motherboard and DDR4 ram.

If your games are multiplayer games with many participants, then adding 4 threads via a used I7-4790K might work.
Usually, though, games do not make effective use of more than 4 threads.

D

Deleted member 1403140

I think you are now nicely balanced between cpu and gpu.
To see if a stronger processor might help, try this back handed test:
Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 80%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 20% improvement in core speed might do.

If you need a processor upgrade, a current gen intel or ryzen is what you should be looking at.
That will involve not only the processor, but a new motherboard and DDR4 ram.

If your games are multiplayer games with many participants, then adding 4 threads via a used I7-4790K might work.
Usually, though, games do not make effective use of more than 4 threads.
Thanks for your answer, i will try this and see how it goes. Might leave it for a little while until its more economically sensible to upgrade

Please read this - it was posted yesterday and the guy had the same intentions as you

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
Hi guys, I haven't upgraded much in my PC for a good while now and I'm noticing it starting to run some newer games poorly, i think (if i'm right) that my CPU is the bottleneck, however i am not sure how to proceed in terms of upgrading.
I'm not sure if i need to upgrade my motherboard and ram as well if i want to get a good/modern CPU, any help would be much appreciated.

Here are my current specs:

CPU - Core i5-4670k @ 4.2ghz
GPU - gtx 1070 8gb
Motherboard - gigabyte Z87-HD3
RAM - 16gb DDR3 1866 mhz
PSU - Corsair CX600M
Storage - 250gb ssd and 1Tb HDD

if you're looking to do it on the cheap, I think maybe an x79 motherboard with an i7 4930k might be a good option for you. you get 6 physical cores that oc to 4.5ghz + and quad channel ddr3 that brings ram latency/bandwidth close to ddr4 performance.

Based on what i've found online, this system wont bottleneck even the mighty 1080ti in cpu heavy games. but bear in mind, you'll need to basically live on ebay to get a good deal on these parts as x79 mobo's are overprced usually. I think theres a cheaper x58 option with a xeon that still performs really well with mid range hardware but i cant remember the name of it off the top of my head.

hope this helps.