[SOLVED] Upgrading my current setup to play in 1440p

Powerzz

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
Hello, so as title states, I want to upgrade my setup to be able to play in 1440p (not sure if 60Hz or 144Hz). Let's start with my current setup:
CPU | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz]
Motherboard | [Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]
Memory | [Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory] x2
Video Card | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4 GB G1 Gaming Video Card]
Case | [Fractal Design Arc XL ATX Full Tower Case]
Power Supply | [SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified
Operating System | [Microsoft Windows 10 Pro ]

1. Is it going to be enough to just upgrade my GPU and buy a new monitor or should I do a completely new build? If just GPU, I think RTX 2070 Super or RX 5700 XT would be my choice, I'm leaning more to rtx as I've always had Nvidias and never had a problem. I can justify the higher price. But I'm not sure if my CPU will be enough for these GPU's.

2. I've been looking at monitors and the AOC CQ32G1 seems like a good choice in terms of value/performance. But it doesn't have G-Sync which i would kind of need if I choose the RTX right? If that is the case, which monitor would you recommend? I would prefer at least 27 inch as that is the size I currently have.

I think that is all for now, thank you for help.

Solution
Hello, so as title states, I want to upgrade my setup to be able to play in 1440p (not sure if 60Hz or 144Hz). Let's start with my current setup:

1. Is it going to be enough to just upgrade my GPU and buy a new monitor or should I do a completely new build? If just GPU, I think RTX 2070 Super or RX...

1. Is it going to be enough to just upgrade my GPU and buy a new monitor or should I do a completely new build? If just GPU, I think RTX 2070 Super or RX 5700 XT would be my choice, I'm leaning more to rtx as I've always had Nvidias and never had a problem. I can justify the higher price. But I'm not sure if my CPU will be enough for these GPU's.

2. I've been looking at monitors and the AOC CQ32G1 seems like a good choice in terms of value/performance. But it doesn't have G-Sync which i would kind of need if I choose the RTX right? If that is the case, which monitor would you recommend? I would prefer at least 27 inch as that is the size I currently have.

I think that is all for now, thank you for help.

For 1440p, 60hz I think a GPU upgrade should be fine. The 4790K is still a decent gaming cpu. It might hold the machine back a bit if you are going for high refresh rate though.

As for Radeon vs RTX- get whichever you prefer, both excellent graphics boards.

Solution
You'll be fine with either GPU and you won't experience much of a bottleneck with that CPU, RAM, or MOBO. Maybe for some heavy titles you will notice a bottleneck, especially playing at 2k. But not enough that you'll suffer drastically. Just make sure to upgrade the rest of your PC in due time if you feel the need to.

As for monitor, here's a couple of options:
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Non-Glare-Adjustment-Optix-MAG271CQR/dp/B07RPFZPS9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1JYY7L6XP89KL&keywords=msi+27+inch+monitor+144hz+curved&qid=1573050331&sprefix=msi+27,aps,153&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-CQ27G1-DisplayPort-Adjustable-Zero-Bright/dp/B07V39QHMY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2CN4HQZRE9AVP&keywords=2k+144hz+curved+monitor&qid=1573050365&sprefix=2k+144hz+curved,aps,186&sr=8-3

Reactions: cdrkf