Upgrading my Desktop

Vladimir Makarov

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hi everyone i have a HP Envy desktop with a 1 1TB drive, 12 gigs of ram, AMD A10 quad core proc. AMD radeon hd 8670d, MS 7778 Motherboard. I opened it up and noticed some room for expansion and decided I want to upgrade my computer into a gaming one that can handle BF4 in at least high with 60 frames a second. that being said i would have to get a new graphics card and power supply and processor probably even a new case and gut this computer. My question is, can my motherboard even handle this? if so any tips on what to buy to get a real gaming PC? if its less of a hassle to start from scratch i might but im trying to save money. (when I bought this HP I didn't know much about computers)

Solution

The A10 is an APU. Yet it is still competent for gaming; its about as fast as an older AMD 965BE quad core.
Having the model of the computer would be helpful.

What I would do in your case is to upgrade in increments. First, I would go for the graphics and power supply, then you have a solid power supply to build up on. You can also get a new case, as HP generally uses standard motherboard sizes.

Although I thought the Envy had cool red lights and stuff.

If you find that the computer is still lacking, you could upgrade to a new processor. Most likely though that would require a new motherboard since the A10 I believe is the fastest you can get for a FM2 (might be wrong been out of the computer game for a bit).

i dont know much about AMD these days, but is an A10 an APU? if so, then intel is still better for gaming.

a good pair of cpu and gpu (gpu being more expensive) is needed. 8gb of ram is normal these days.

for the gpu, a 270x or maybe a 760/770 is pretty good

The A10 is an APU. Yet it is still competent for gaming; its about as fast as an older AMD 965BE quad core.

Solution