mrmr85

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Is there a website out there that can evaluate my computer and make hardware recommendations to improve it's speed and extend it's life? Ram was maxed years ago. Time for new CPU, etc.?

Solution
Hardware wise there is nothing I would recommend apart from building a new system.

Software wise I'd do fresh install of Windows. I should breath a bit of new life into the system.

loneninja

Distinguished
There is no website that scans your computer and compares it to everything ever made to tell you what you could upgrade to, and if there was it would need to try and consider in market availability and price too.

However provide your current hardware and tell us what type of performance gains your looking for, budget, and what country you're in, and we can help find and recommend upgrades.

mrmr85

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
HP Pavillion - Media Center Edition version 2002

General
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Central Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz

Graphics
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Video Memory 224.00 MB

Storage
Total Memory 2.99 GB
Free Memory 1.73 GB
Total Hard disk 232.86 GB
Free Hard disk 180.74 GB

Central Processor
CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz

Motherboard
Model LEUCITE3
Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer INC.
BIOS Name Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Disk Drives
Name SAMSUNG SP2504C
Media Type Fixed hard disk media
Capability 232.88 GB
Interface Type IDE

IDE Controller
Name Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF

netops07

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Man, it would be really hard for me to spend any money on that machine unless there was just no other option. The only thing I would do would be get a sataII ssd and that is because you can move it to a new build later. Tough one bud, but it looks like you got a lot of use out of the system.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
We can't start making suggestions untill he tells us what his primary uses for this PC will be. If he's looking at just browsing the internet then it's possible he doesn't need an upgrade - it's an old computer so it could be clogged up with all sorts of rubbish.

So what you currently/planning to use it for?

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Hardware wise there is nothing I would recommend apart from building a new system.

Software wise I'd do fresh install of Windows. I should breath a bit of new life into the system.

Solution

mrmr85

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
This system runs multi Diablo bots (in Sandboxie) 24/7. It also runs all the house programs, like budgets, taxes, photos, etc. (All those programs are taken down on flash drives after every use). In between, I run other games like WOW and RYL. The system cleans daily with Advanced System Care Pro and of course a virus program. A secondary virus program is manually run once a month. We're all pretty okay with the system as it is, I was just hoping to tweak it a bit more. No one is ready for another computer, since we already have 4 in the house (the other 3 also run Diablo bots 24/7, and other games). If, when, we tweak this computer, I'll be looking for the same info on the other 3 computers. This one is the big mother for everyone, so if this tweak well... my $$ budget won't be that big a problem. ;-)

mrmr85

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Would this processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual-Core Processor, 2.66 GHZ, 4M L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB, LGA775

Work with this system:
Central Processor
CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz

Motherboard
Model LEUCITE3
Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer INC.
BIOS Name Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Disk Drives
Name SAMSUNG SP2504C
Media Type Fixed hard disk media
Capability 232.88 GB
Interface Type IDE

IDE Controller
Name Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF

I can get one with a retail heatsink and fan for $75.