[SOLVED] Upgrading my first build from 2015

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
Been researching for hours everyday, holy crap there are a lot of options! Very overwhelming for a newbie.

My specs as of now:

i5 4690k W/ Hyper 212 evo on a Z97-A
GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 Gaming
Corsair Vengeance (2X4 GB) DDR3-1600
EVGA Supernova NEX 650W 80+ Gold
Asus VG248QE 144hz 1080p

I play various games like CSGO, Fallout 4, whatever I happen to be into. Currently playing Gears 5 and looking forward to RDR2 and Cyberpunk. My plan is to upgrade in two stages with a $500 budget in each stage. I figured MOBO/CPU/RAM in one and GPU in the other. I plan to buy an SSD regardless.

I've considered i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro OR R5 3600, "Not sure yet" X570. Either way 2x8 GBs of highest speed RAM my budget will allow. The GPU being RTX 2060/Super OR GTX 1660 ti OR 5700xt (Probably Sapphire or Power Color).

Do these seem like good choices? I've changed my mind 100x in the past week. Do you all think I would be better suited to do either the CPU/MOBO/RAM or GPU first? I know that getting the GPU first will cause a serious bottleneck at the CPU so I'm leaning the other way but this being a gaming rig would the GPU even with the bottleneck be a more enjoyable upgrade while I wait to do the rest?

Really appreciate any and all advice, none of my choices are fixed at this point. Reviews on most of these products vary so wildly that its hard to know what to believe.

Last edited:
Solution
I'd side with AMD's option, unless Intel comes up with something more compelling. Also for ram, look at a DDR4-3200 or 3600MHz ram kit. How old is your PSU? You're probably going to need to look at a new unit for the sake of piece of mind if it's as old as the processor in your build.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd side with AMD's option, unless Intel comes up with something more compelling. Also for ram, look at a DDR4-3200 or 3600MHz ram kit. How old is your PSU? You're probably going to need to look at a new unit for the sake of piece of mind if it's as old as the processor in your build.

Solution

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015

Bought in 2015 along with everything else. I've been reading reviews from jonnyguru? So I'm considering going with one of his picks in the like 750-850 range to allow for a bit of a buffer.

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
Figured I'd tack this on:

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I've decided what to get.

Budget Range: $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 1080p 144hz gaming, internet browsing

Are you buying a monitor: Not right now. Considering upgrade in the future.

Parts to Upgrade: CPU/MOBO/RAM OR GPU

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.com newegg.com open to suggestions

Parts Preferences: Open to Intel or AMD build, whichever makes the most sense (price to performance, future proofing)

Overclocking: Yes, still learning but definitely interested.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 144hz

Additional Comments: Quiet is good, RGB doesn't matter. Play a lot of CSGO. Enjoy many various AAA titles including RPGs to some extent.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Low FPS in newer games and I don't like playing with low settings.

TRENDING THREADS