[SOLVED] Upgrading my Front Fan (Intake) on Alienware Aurora R8, Advice requested.

ScornSnakeX

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
My Alienware Aurora R8 (i7-9700, RTX 2070) is a month old, but since the day I purchased it, I notice the fans are really load. My CPU is Liquid Cool. The Front Fan (Intake) sounds like a vacuum when near 50% usage. I was looking to replace the front front, but not sure what fan is compatible or recommended, any help would be great.

*From my understanding R7/R8 use the same motherboard if that helps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I wish, that when ppl did a thorough review, they did a thorough review and list everything. I can't find the stats on the fans anywhere.

If it's standard sized, a Noctua A12x25/A15x25 or IPPC 2000 would be the best you could do, they are quiet at higher rpms, move a lot of air and have seriously respectable static pressure.

Just don't use high airflow fans, use high pressure or balanced fans, there's a lot of obstruction in that case and you'd be better off with an intake that will move a decent amount of air vrs a fan that can't move a lot of air.

Just need to know if they are standard 120mm or 140mm by 25mm, or slimline fans etc.

ScornSnakeX

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
I wish, that when ppl did a thorough review, they did a thorough review and list everything. I can't find the stats on the fans anywhere.

If it's standard sized, a Noctua A12x25/A15x25 or IPPC 2000 would be the best you could do, they are quiet at higher rpms, move a lot of air and have seriously respectable static pressure.

Just don't use high airflow fans, use high pressure or balanced fans, there's a lot of obstruction in that case and you'd be better off with an intake that will move a decent amount of air vrs a fan that can't move a lot of air.

Just need to know if they are standard 120mm or 140mm by 25mm, or slimline fans etc.

The front fan 120x120x25 mm, 12V, 4-pin PWM

ScornSnakeX

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
Perfect.

Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 71.69 CFM 120 mm Fan ($25.35 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($29.90 @ Amazon)

I'd be looking at these. The ippc has better overall cfm/sp at higher rpm than the A12x25, but the A12x25 does better at more moderate rpm.

Those look great, probably going to go with the Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan, only thing I am worrying about is if that fan is compatible with Alienware Control Center (Stock program that controls the fans)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fan is a fan. It's either pwm or DC. The fan itself is totally invisible to the pc, the only thing seen is the duty cycle vrs rpm and power loads.

Motherboard tells the cpu 'hey, I'm hot!'. Cpu tells software to wake up and get busy. Software sends higher duty cycle pwm signal to fan. Fan speeds up.

Can't really blame Dell for a bad choice of fan. They have contracts with the fan suppliers for bulk purchases at a discount, and aren't about to spend more money on new stuff that'll do the same job. So they get stuck with using a louder fan that's in several different pc models.

Reactions: ScornSnakeX

ScornSnakeX

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
Fan is a fan. It's either pwm or DC. The fan itself is totally invisible to the pc, the only thing seen is the duty cycle vrs rpm and power loads.

Motherboard tells the cpu 'hey, I'm hot!'. Cpu tells software to wake up and get busy. Software sends higher duty cycle pwm signal to fan. Fan speeds up.

Can't really blame Dell for a bad choice of fan. They have contracts with the fan suppliers for bulk purchases at a discount, and aren't about to spend more money on new stuff that'll do the same job. So they get stuck with using a louder fan that's in several different pc models.

Thank you for simplifying it to me :)