Upgrading my game system

draylorre

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
So, I finally have some spare cash and I thought I'd do something with this computer to "pizazz" it up. Right now I have:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3200+ (Socket 939)
RAM: 2 (4x 512) GB Kingston DDR RAM
GFX: GeForce 7800 GT
Mobo:Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
HDs: 2, 250 GB in RAID 0
PSU: Enermax 600W
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Audio Xtreme
Speakers: Logitech X540 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

and a few other nifty things like purdy lights, purdy keyboard, blah blah.

I mainly use this system for gaming, as I have a beefy server that runs Linux (6.06 LTS, server version if anyone cares) and handles all my storage.

Now I was thinking of popping in another 7800 GT to make use of the SLI board, as that is what I bought it for in the beginning, but due to financial issued, I haven't been able to make use of it until now.

My question is, do you think the SLI is the best/most cost-worthy investment?

I was thinking of upping to a dual-core processor, as the 939 ones are dirt cheap, but that requires new memory as well. I could easily buy 2 GB DDR2 and a new processor for about the same price as the GFX card, maybe a bit more.

Now yes, I could do both, but I don't wanna splurge all my money right away.

Opinions?

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
For the time being if you are gonna upgrade, you should get a new motherboard, cpu, and ddr2 ram. Then down the road when the next gen gpu's are out you can get a cheaper one.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

geting a 165 cpu that can overclock is ok and you old ram may still work is ddr400? and you will want to wait for intels x38 chipset or the amd quadcores + am2+ ,b.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
the problem is that your graphics card isn't that old, but if you buy a second Graphics card, the rest of your system will be the bottleneck on the gaming performance.

so it might just be better to wait for the next gen graphics cards to come out and buy a new system?

otherwise you might do a quick processor and graphics card upgrade