Build Advice Upgrading my gaming PC after 6 years

Spellbreak

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
Hello guys!
Here I'm back after 6 years, again in need of your expertise.
Here is link to my current build PC partpicker, only case is missing, couldn't find it there: Corsair Obsidian 550d.

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next couple of months.
Budget Range: ~1800 EUR/1900 USD
System Usage: Gaming
Are you buying a monitor: Not currently, but I will switch to 1440p later next year. Any suggestions will be welcome :)
Parts to Upgrade: GPU, CPU, RAM to 32GB, MB, maybe case.
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I will be using local webpage to find cheapest and most secure option (https://www.salidzini.lv)
Parts Preferences: I'm thinking to switch to AMD for CPU and stay with Nvidia for GPU. MB preferably Asus. Gladly will change my mind if some other good options will come.
Overclocking: Only CPU
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Why I'm Upgrading: I want to play Cyberpunk in 1440p without FPS problems and Kenshi (I want better processing for it). Also, forget about upgrading for the next 4-6 years.

Currently I'm looking at
GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D or should I go with AM5 socket, like Ryzen 5 7600X or AMD Ryzen 7 7700X?
MB: Asus board, nothing fancy and without Wi-Fi adapter.
RAM: no idea here :)

P.S. If you will suggest something out of my budget - that's not a problem I can go over if it will be worth it in long-term and for better performance.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Why_Me
Hello guys!
Here is link to my current build PC partpicker, only case is missing, couldn't find it there: Corsair Obsidian 550d.

Are you buying a monitor: Not currently, but I will switch to 1440p later next year. Any suggestions will be welcome :)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I will be using local webpage to find cheapest and most secure option (https://www.salidzini.lv)
Parts Preferences: I'm thinking to switch to AMD for CPU and stay with Nvidia for GPU. MB preferably Asus. Gladly will change my mind if some other good options will come.
Why I'm Upgrading: I want to play Cyberpunk in 1440p without FPS problems and Kenshi (I want better processing for it). Also, forget about upgrading for the next 4-6 years.

Currently I'm looking at
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D or should I go with AM5 socket, like Ryzen 5 7600X or AMD Ryzen 7 7700X?

P.S. If you will suggest something out of my budget - that's not a problem I can go over if it will be worth it in long-term and for better performance.

Thank you!
x3D models coming to AM5 socket very soon, maybe you should wait for a bit.

Reactions: Spellbreak

Spellbreak

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
x3D models coming to AM5 socket very soon, maybe you should wait for a bit.
Thank you. Will definitely keep my eye on it, however it would more expensive in comparison with the Ryzen 5 7600X or AMD Ryzen 7 7700X, no?

Also, what about RAM - I have no idea which one to get. 2x16 or 4x8?
And suggestion for a MB also would be much appreciated :)

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
Hello guys!

Currently I'm looking at

Thank you!

I would suggest going intel 12th Gen as that will give you an upgrade in the future to 13th Gen. I would also consider a 6800XT if you can find a good deal cheaper than the equivalent 3080, AMD have sorted their drivers and RT really doesn't make that much difference. I'd def go to 32GB it's worth it for a relatively small price. You can get DDR4 3600 for an excellent price (DDR 5 isn't worth it, the performance gains are tiny for a lot more money)

Spellbreak

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
I would suggest going intel 12th Gen as that will give you an upgrade in the future to 13th Gen. I would also consider a 6800XT if you can find a good deal cheaper than the equivalent 3080, AMD have sorted their drivers and RT really doesn't make that much difference. I'd def go to 32GB it's worth it for a relatively small price. You can get DDR4 3600 for an excellent price (DDR 5 isn't worth it, the performance gains are tiny for a lot more money)
Hey, thank you! I'll look into this GPU and 12th Gen. Concerning RAM - what brand do you suggest? And should I go 2x16 or 4x8, any difference?

Last edited:
Intel is due to release their locked cpu's along with the B760 boards on January 3rd. Early bench leaks have the i5 13400F (6 cores / 16 threads) running head to head with the 12600K. That cpu should retail in Latvia for €225 inc VAT. Pair that up with a B760 or B660 board.

Here's an example. There will be a B760 DDR5 version of this B660 board down below. Expect a 10% price increase.

https://maxtrade.lv/gigabyte-motherboard-b660-gaming-x-ddr4-s1700-4ddr4-dp-hdmi-m-2-atx.79941.p

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10#kf

Last edited:

Spellbreak

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
Intel is due to release their locked cpu's along with the B760 boards on January 3rd. Early bench leaks have the i5 13400F (6 cores / 16 threads) running head to head with the 12600K. That cpu should retail in Latvia for €230 inc VAT. Pair that up with a B760 DDR5 board.

Here's an example. There will be a B760 DDR5 version of this B660 board down below. Expect a 10% price increase.

https://maxtrade.lv/gigabyte-motherboard-b660-gaming-x-ddr4-s1700-4ddr4-dp-hdmi-m-2-atx.79941.p

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10#kf

Sorry if I sound stupid, but you mean to say that locked CPU will be performing the same way as overclocked 12600K or you speak about stock speed? Or you mean that price/performance ration for B760 is much more favorable?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but you mean to say that locked CPU will be performing the same way as overclocked 12600K or you speak about stock speed? Or you mean that price/performance ration for B760 is much more favorable?
Stock speed. You can use either a B760 or B660 board with these new 13 gen cpu's. That includes being able to go with either DDR4 or DDR5. Intel 12 gen and 13 gen cpu's support both.

Spellbreak

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2013
Stock speed. You can use either a B760 or B660 board with these new 13 gen cpu's. That includes being able to go with either DDR4 or DDR5. Intel 12 gen and 13 gen cpu's support both.
But is it worth to go with DDR5?
For example which one is better? I wouldn't want to go above this prices for RAM.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2D3600C16

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ANCE-DDR5-Memory---Black/p/CMK32GX5M2B5200C40

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
Hey, thank you! I'll look into this GPU and 12th Gen. Concerning RAM - what brand do you suggest? And should I go 2x16 or 4x8, any difference?

I don't think the brand matters that much, I have had both Corsair and Patriot in recent builds and both worked perfectly. I personally would go 2x16. There isn't any real difference in performance and it'll be cheaper

logainofhades

Titan

I would say yes. DDR5 pricing today, is actually better than DDR4 was a about a year and a half+ ago. My 32gb DDR4 3600 CL16 ram was $209.99, when I bought it in Feb '21. 32gb of DDR5 6000, can be found for as low as like $150 today.