Question Upgrading my Gaming PC, Please Help

MaddLu

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
Hi there everyone, like all good technology they need an upgrade. I made a gaming computer about 5-6 years ago and I'm looking to replace the motherboard, CPU, and Graphics Card. I would want all to be LIQUID COOLING.
The specific parts I am keeping are...

Case: Elite 430
Power Supply: EVGA 500W Bronze Power Supply
Also for some reason I can't find exact models of the driver's i use for memory/storage. So the motherboard I want to replace is a GA-990FXA-UD3

Overall I want to keep my case, power supply, and memory/storage drivers to save money, therefore I need my new parts to be able to work with the parts I keep. As well as run the newer PC games without issue.
My budget on these new parts would probably be around $600-$800. Can anyone tell me what parts I should get? The final list of requirements I talk about are below.

-RUN newer PC games without issue
-liquid cooling
-Total $600-$800 budget
-Work with EVGA 500W Bronze Power Supply
-Fit in Elite 430 Case
-Work with storage/memory drivers that work with my GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
You're going to have to part out with your current CPU/Mobo/ram and get a new CPU/Mobo/ram combo. You forgot to include your current system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

So we know we're not suggesting the same thing, after an upgrade. You also need to list what sort of games you're going to tax the system with and at what resolution.

MaddLu

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
You're going to have to part out with your current CPU/Mobo/ram and get a new CPU/Mobo/ram combo. You forgot to include your current system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

So we know we're not suggesting the same thing, after an upgrade. You also need to list what sort of games you're going to tax the system with and at what resolution.

CPU: AMD fx-6300 six-core processor
Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD3
RAM: 8.00 GB
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: SEAGATE ST1000DM003
GPU: AMD Radeon HD7800 Series
PSU: EVGA 500W Bronze Power Supply
Chassis: Elite 430

Well I play COD, League of legends, and I would like a high resolution but I can live with medium or low. This all started because of for some reason my "Sea of Thieves" has been crashing on me, so I assume I need new parts. But I just found that my Device and performance health has a few errors preventing my window store apps from working properly. I'm going to try to fix that, but either way I should still look into getting upgrades.

All desktop CPUs from the last few years require DDR4 RAM, so you will likely need to replace the DDR3 from your current system as well. We're also getting to the point where you will likely want 16GB for the newer games coming out to get the best performance out of them.

As for water cooling, it's benefits would probably be minimal relative to the cost. If you want an aftermarket CPU cooler, a $30-$40 120mm tower cooler should perform pretty much on par with the less expensive all-in-one liquid coolers, and in general will be less likely to break down over time. Spending less on cooling your CPU will allow you to spend more on the parts that have a much greater impact on performance, like the graphics card.

What screen resolution will you be gaming at? 1080p?

For esports type games I'd look to hit off the right checkboxes first.

144hz 1080p 1ms monitor $200
gaming m/k/pad $150

system that can hit a decent amount over on usually low settings. Most people play with minimal settings to make it easier to see targets / better fps

water cooling is one of the last priorities in a build. you can always spend somewhere else until you get to the top dollar items. it's like putting a spoiler on a camry. if your case is large some $20-40 air coolers are worth it. heat pipes out perform the block ones. heavy OC just burn through your parts/power bill in my opinion.

I'd recommend the below
$140-225 cpu midrange high clock. 2600/X or i5/K if your budget can make it go for the better clock.
mobo look for quality parts minimal features you dont need. microatx usually fits this.
midrange cards can hit 144fps on most esports games. gpucheck to verify. RX570 - 1660ti + range
storage the 970 evo plus is a great ssd right now. 512GB is 125$
if your psu is old replace it.
2x8 memory kits aren't expensive. keep it under a $100. over spending on ram is really easy.
Don't forget winblows is $100

what ever is left in your budget put towards the best gpu. if you're debating on spending an extra 20 on some of the other sections. it's almost always better spent on the gpu. midrange has the best perf/value and your budget is low/mid range. anything new will be 5x better than that old AMD bulldozer build.

Last edited: