[SOLVED] Upgrading my Gaming PC

Jun 2, 2020
Hey, I'm new to computer gaming and bought a pre-built setup for relatively cheap. I play mostly first person shooters like CoD Warzone, and Destiny 2 as well as one world RPGS Like
Uncharted 4 and AC Origins, etc.
I already get decent graphics/frames at 1080p/60hz but was wondering what upgrades I would need to do to be able to run most games on high graphics settings at 1440p/144hz within my budget of up to around £800. (Though less is preferred lol)

My current specs are:
OS - Windows 10 Pro x64
Motherboard - MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
CPU - AMD FX-8350 8 core 4ghz
GPU - Nvidia GTX 970 4gb
RAM - 16gb DDR3
SSD - 120gb OCZ SSD / 60gb Sandisk SSD
HDD - Hitachi 1tb Hardrive
PSU - OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Cooler - Coolermaster 2120mm Watercooling AIO with 2x 120mm fans (push pull)
Thank you!

Solution
The 2070 will not get you 144fps @ 1440p with high settings in any modern game.
I partually agree with drivinfast247.It can give him high fps on 144hz/1440p in modern games if not all settings are high/on.Settings have different effect on your fps depending on what the setting does to sacrifice fps.Lets take Warzone for example,if he turns most of the settings to high/on he will get about 144fps or less (surely not below 100fps which is very playable),but if he turns on RTX,he will get -60fps or more instantly.I think not all settings should be on/high,because some settings are not really that noticable,and they sacrifice too much fps,which is the main (some of the main) requirement to performing well.My recommendation is to set...
Hey, I'm new to computer gaming and bought a pre-built setup for relatively cheap. I play mostly first person shooters like CoD Warzone, and Destiny 2 as well as one world RPGS Like
Uncharted 4 and AC Origins, etc.
I already get decent graphics/frames at 1080p/60hz but was wondering what upgrades I would need to do to be able to run most games on high graphics settings at 1440p/144hz within my budget of up to around £800. (Though less is preferred lol)

My current specs are:
OS - Windows 10 Pro x64
Motherboard - MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
CPU - AMD FX-8350 8 core 4ghz
GPU - Nvidia GTX 970 4gb
RAM - 16gb DDR3
SSD - 120gb OCZ SSD / 60gb Sandisk SSD
HDD - Hitachi 1tb Hardrive
PSU - OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Cooler - Coolermaster 2120mm Watercooling AIO with 2x 120mm fans (push pull)
Thank you!
if i were you i would change the mobo,ram,cpu,gpu and more powerful psu for the new build.So its mostly everything.
Check this out: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QNQV9G
You need to change everything,cuz that kind of hardware wont pull 30fps on 1440p/144hz on high settings in warzone and modern games.Try to sell your previous specs and upgrade to ones i recommended or whatever anyone else recommends

Jun 2, 2020
if i were you i would change the mobo,ram,cpu,gpu and more powerful psu for the new build.So its mostly everything.
Check this out: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QNQV9G
You need to change everything,cuz that kind of hardware wont pull 30fps on 1440p/144hz on high settings in warzone and modern games.Try to sell your previous specs and upgrade to ones i recommended or whatever anyone else recommends
Awesome thanks for the tip! Would it be worth going for a 2070 over a 2060 or is that overkill?
Also If I were unable to get all of these at once what would you recommend is the best components to get first as to not bottleneck the machine (e.g getting a 2060 gpu)

Awesome thanks for the tip! Would it be worth going for a 2070 over a 2060 or is that overkill?
Also If I were unable to get all of these at once what would you recommend is the best components to get first as to not bottleneck the machine (e.g getting a 2060 gpu)
It would probably be the mobo,cpu and ram.If you are not buying a gpu i think your psu will hold until you buy a new gpu+psu for it.And yes the 2070 would be the better choice,and wouldnt bootleneck 3600,and the only reason i didnt put it in the pc part picker list is that it would be a little bit over the budget,but if you have the money go for the 2070.

The 2070 will not get you 144fps @ 1440p with high settings in any modern game.
I partually agree with drivinfast247.It can give him high fps on 144hz/1440p in modern games if not all settings are high/on.Settings have different effect on your fps depending on what the setting does to sacrifice fps.Lets take Warzone for example,if he turns most of the settings to high/on he will get about 144fps or less (surely not below 100fps which is very playable),but if he turns on RTX,he will get -60fps or more instantly.I think not all settings should be on/high,because some settings are not really that noticable,and they sacrifice too much fps,which is the main (some of the main) requirement to performing well.My recommendation is to set shadows,anti-aliasing,antisotropic filtering,and even textures to medium and it wont be a really big and noticable difference like it was set on high.My last advice for JakusMakus is not to push his pc like he has the best cpu,gpu and other components if he wishes for his pc to last and perform amazingly great for over 2-3 years.His future hardware is more than capable to performing as he wishes,but that just my opinion.

Solution
Jun 2, 2020
I partually agree with drivinfast247.It can give him high fps on 144hz/1440p in modern games if not all settings are high/on.Settings have different effect on your fps depending on what the setting does to sacrifice fps.Lets take Warzone for example,if he turns most of the settings to high/on he will get about 144fps or less (surely not below 100fps which is very playable),but if he turns on RTX,he will get -60fps or more instantly.I think not all settings should be on/high,because some settings are not really that noticable,and they sacrifice too much fps,which is the main (some of the main) requirement to performing well.My recommendation is to set shadows,anti-aliasing,antisotropic filtering,and even textures to medium and it wont be a really big and noticable difference like it was set on high.My last advice for JakusMakus is not to push his pc like he has the best cpu,gpu and other components if he wishes for his pc to last and perform amazingly great for over 2-3 years.His future hardware is more than capable to performing as he wishes,but that just my opinion.
Thanks, very much appreciate your tips! Yeah I think I have been trying to ask for more than it will give but have done some research and know where to start now!

Reactions: Dj0gany