[SOLVED] Upgrading my gaming PC's gpu, can't decide between the 1080ti and 3060ti. Would spending more on the 3060ti futureproof my build a little better?

TJtheGamer

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
I have been looking to upgrade the gpu on my gaming rig as my old rig is starting to struggle with some games. Currently I'm running a 750ti with an i5 4690k, it's also worth noting that I will also be upgrading to a 750 watt power supply to properly power either of these new cards. The main question I have is whether it is worth getting a 3060ti, for a little more money than the 1080ti, to futureproof my build a little more with a newer card, as I do not upgrade my pc very often (which is probably evident by my build). But I also wonder if the bottlenecking my cpu is bound to cause would be a big issue and if it could cause any harm to my components. I would like to get to 60fps on most games with this upgrade and am fine with turning down the settings to hit this; but wondered if that is even possible with my current cpu and one of the mentioned gpus. Currently I am playing Dayz and Rainbow 6 Siege a lot, but was looking to play many of the playstation exclusives that are now on steam (Spiderman, Days Gone, God of War, etc.)

Thanks a ton for reading and for any help you can provide.

Solution
I would never get a gpu that lacks all the current features in games. A RTX 3060 TI can play Ray Tracing and support DLSS games, a GTX 1080TI cannot. Cheaper AMD cards like nvidia do support Ray tracing but the performance is so bad you might as well not bother. A system based on the i5 4690k needs upgrades on all fronts. 4 cores and 4 threads are 100% going to perform poorly in current games. Less than 4GHz in frequency and DDR3 RAM dual channel. You will be cpu bottleneck no matter what you do in current games. If I was to upgrade, if would go for the card that gives me the most support for current gaming features.

Remember you can upgrade everything else later but at least with a gpu with full support of current games you...

Lutfij

Titan
The GTX1080Ti will certainly not be brand new, be mined to oblivion and as such I'll leave that out of the discussion. Your option to go with the RTX3060Ti will be, on paper, immensely powerful when compared tot he GTX750Ti but in reality your platform cannot take advantage of the GPU's power. For the GPU upgrade to make sense you're going to have to migrate to a more concurrent platform, if not, something at least the 9th Gen Intel platform.

When looking for a PSU, look into a reliably built unit, not just the wattage though yes 750W would be a good number to stick on when pairing an RTX3060Ti to a platform.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The 1080ti is a legendary performance to price pick. Thier ability to render is still strong enough to be comparative to many of the low to mid end graphics cards selling today. The only condition in which I would buy one at this point would be for it to be insanely low priced and seeing it work under load. Everything @Lutfij said applies. This is an old card and no telling what it has been through.

The 3060ti is a capable performer as well. I would not purchase one with the "ray tracing" aspect being an important aspect of the consideration. There is quite a bit of competition in that price point. Don't forget to consider you monitor and its sync type as well.

Reactions: Lutfij

zx128k

Reputable
I would never get a gpu that lacks all the current features in games. A RTX 3060 TI can play Ray Tracing and support DLSS games, a GTX 1080TI cannot. Cheaper AMD cards like nvidia do support Ray tracing but the performance is so bad you might as well not bother. A system based on the i5 4690k needs upgrades on all fronts. 4 cores and 4 threads are 100% going to perform poorly in current games. Less than 4GHz in frequency and DDR3 RAM dual channel. You will be cpu bottleneck no matter what you do in current games. If I was to upgrade, if would go for the card that gives me the most support for current gaming features.

Remember you can upgrade everything else later but at least with a gpu with full support of current games you have a chance of getting the game to run. Even with some form of RT @ 1080p.

Solution
The main question I have is whether it is worth getting a 3060ti, for a little more money than the 1080ti...
How much is a "little more"? A 3060 Ti will tend to be over 20% faster than a 1080 Ti on average, at least in cases where the rest of the system is not holding it back, and supports some newer graphics technologies. The 1080 Ti is more comparable in performance to the 3060 (non-Ti) or a Radeon 6600 XT, but even those cards support newer features like raytraced lighting effects, which will only become more common over time.

And as has been pointed out, just about any 1080 Ti on the market today will likely be a used card that's seen years of use and is out of warranty, so if the card fails some months down the line you will be out whatever you paid for it, as that model first came out over 6 years ago, and its successor arrived over 4 years ago. The 3060 Ti, on the other hand, just came out around 2 years ago, and is still a current generation model in its range, and new cards will tend to come with 2 to 3 years of warranty coverage.

So, for a 1080 Ti that's almost certainly used and out of warranty, I wouldn't consider paying anything close to what the current-generation 3060 (non-Ti) or 6600 XT cost today, let alone the faster 3060 Ti.

TJtheGamer

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014

Remember you can upgrade everything else later but at least with a gpu with full support of current games you have a chance of getting the game to run. Even with some form of RT @ 1080p.
Yes I knew my cpu would cause some bottlenecking problems no matter what, but I simply do not have the money to upgrade everything all at once. So upgrading the cpu further down the line was the plan, but I wanted to get a gpu now that would perform well down the line when that upgrade happens. I was leaning towards getting the 3060ti anyways but I just wanted a little more input on things before I really made up my mind and this thread has helped with that. Thanks for the help.

TJtheGamer

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
The GTX1080Ti will certainly not be brand new, be mined to oblivion and as such I'll leave that out of the discussion. Your option to go with the RTX3060Ti will be, on paper, immensely powerful when compared tot he GTX750Ti but in reality your platform cannot take advantage of the GPU's power. For the GPU upgrade to make sense you're going to have to migrate to a more concurrent platform, if not, something at least the 9th Gen Intel platform.

When looking for a PSU, look into a reliably built unit, not just the wattage though yes 750W would be a good number to stick on when pairing an RTX3060Ti to a platform.
I know I will need to make some other upgrades to really take advantage of the full power of a 3060ti, but I simply don't have the money right now to upgrade everything all at once. As for the power supply I have a well-reviewed corsair RMx series psu picked out, I just thought it seemed unnecessary to include that information for the topic of this thread.
Thanks for the help and the reply.